BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 2:20:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure the barrel pin is out (important! ).  I use the press plates and use two pieces of standard steel stock to support the trunion from the sight block to where the grip would be on each side.  Stack up some pennies on the chamber, I use a non tapered brass punch between the ram and the pennies.  Start applying pressure and the barrel will start moving easily.  I haven't had a problem removing about 6 barrels with this method...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Or you could use the pulley puller technique.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Or you could use the pulley puller technique.

+1
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Always looking for new ways to do things, I tried the pulley puller and I prefer the press.

I use two pieces of flat stock to help support the trunnion in the receiver stub.  Make a V with the flat stock with the barrel at the base of the V and the tips of the V at the top of the receiver.  Place a penny over the chamber and I use a piece of 5/8 steel rod to press the barrel out.  I don't mark anything.  The allowable space between the rear sight base and the front trunnion will only allow it to be out of alignment by a hair, and if it is out of alignment, you will know it when you put the barrel pin back in.  Total time pressing a barrel out with time for set-up is about 3 min.  I can't even get the puller on the trunnion in that time.

Oh yeah, it makes it alot easier if the barrel pin is out....  and I have tried it both ways, not often but I will admit that I have been rushed before.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I could never get the puller to work.  The claws kept slipping off the trunion.

BFH for me so far but now I have a press...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#8]
A couple months back I got on a roll and got 4 barrel pins and barrels out in one sitting.  Now my time is occupied building those up.  I have a couple more kits that need pins and barrels taken out of, so I'm going to set up my camcorder right over my shoulder and video tape how I take out a pin and a barrel.  It takes less than 10 minutes for me including set up time and getting out the tools.  Now I need to get motivated (since I already have 4 ready to build!)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I could never get the puller to work.  The claws kept slipping off the trunion.

BFH for me so far but now I have a press...

Clamp the pullers arms in the vice.Holds everything together.I've done 10 barrels with it ,not a scratch on them, best $20 bucks I've ever spent.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#10]

These pics were posted by 1 Patriot-of-many on gunsnet.

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104433&highlight=barrel+pressing
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is his email [email protected] The pics above are not mine. They were  posted by 1 Patriot-of-many on gunsnet. I have punched the pin and barrel out with a press useing one of xbecs press kits. It works very well. I have also punched many barrel pins out with a punch and hammer. Once you get the pin out it's very easy to get the barrel out. Just do it like the pics above. I use 2 nickles to cover the barrrel face. It seems to cover better than a penny.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I have Xebec's jig and have stop using it.  It is made from Aluminum and therefore is very soft.  I have created jigs to just about every job that his jig does.  Not a bust on his jig, it was how I learned to do these things.  I have just found better/easier ways to do things.  I have a mill so creating my own jigs is no issue.  If you don't, his jig is money well spent.  Think of it as a swiss army knife.  It has a lot of features, but you can probably do better with a dedicated tool.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I just made this video of myself removing a barrel.  I'll (hopefully) eventually document the whole process and edit it to be made available for free.  Click HERE for the video.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What about the plugs from electrical gang boxes?   They're usually galvanized steel.  Work any better than pennies or nickels, or are you looking for something a little soft?

You want soft so as not to damage the breach.  I use pennies and nickels.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just made this video of myself removing a barrel.  I'll (hopefully) eventually document the whole process and edit it to be made available for free.  Click HERE for the video.  Enjoy!

Great video! Just one question.

What if I don't have the press.......hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great video! Just one question.

What if I don't have the press.......

I've had great luck with a pulley puller and they only cost around $20.  The nice thing about a press is that you can use it to put the barrel back in too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#20]
If you don't have a press, the video should give you an idea of how easy a barrel comes out and what parts you need to support.  +1 on using a puller--if you don't want to buy it just go to Pep Boys or something, they'll let you borrow one for free.  The AK in the video was a Bulgy -74, but all barrels I've done (a couple Romys, a couple AMDs, 2 Bulgys) have been just as easy.  Once you get your first out, every one after is simple.  Good luck!

ETA:  I brightened the video, it looked a little dark to me the first time.  Don't be intimidated by removing the barrel, I was scared of doing it about 4 months ago--I thought only pros did it.  Boy was I wrong, 'cause I can do it!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried the all threaded bolt trick to put a barrel back in.  Being the "lazy" person, I used my impact wrench to turn the bolt.  Long story short, it broke.  It is a good concept, just didn't work for me.  I have a press to do just about all the building tasks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I pretty well understand now how the barrel comes out, but what are some methods for putting it back in?  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I haven't tried it, but I guess the easiest method is putting the barrel in a freezer overnight then sliding it back in by hand.  I get the barrel started with a deadblow hammer.  I hold the receiver in my hand with the barrel facing away from me and tap on the end of the barrel.  It actually moves in pretty easy, I'm sure you could put the barrel all the way in with this method.  I made a simple jig to hold the trunion flat on the press, then I just use the press to put it back.  I'll get this on video when I'm done with this build.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#25]
If you have a press, why are you bothering with the freezer method?  I have never froze a barrel and every one has slipped right in the trunnion on the press.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you have a press, why are you bothering with the freezer method?  I have never froze a barrel and every one has slipped right in the trunnion on the press.

Three posts up, I'm assuming he (bloodsport) doesn't have a press.  Then I give other suggestions if he does.  I've never done the freezer either, I use my homemade jig to put them in.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread had been very helpful for me as well.  Thanks everyone, especially squeky for posting the video.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#28]
edited 'cause I am an idiot
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Three posts up, I'm assuming he (bloodsport) doesn't have a press.  Then I give other suggestions if he does.  I've never done the freezer either, I use my homemade jig to put them in.

No, but I drooled over them at Horbor Freight today.  I think I might put my WASR refit on the back burner until funds and time allow for a well-done job rather than a half assed one.  I was just curious where the supports and punch were placed when pressing the barrel back in and what parts should be most supported by the pressing jig you mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but I drooled over them at Horbor Freight today.  I think I might put my WASR refit on the back burner until funds and time allow for a well-done job rather than a half assed one.  I was just curious where the supports and punch were placed when pressing the barrel back in and what parts should be most supported by the pressing jig you mentioned.

I'll get pics and a video in a few days when I put the barrel back in.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#31]
why do we have to even press the barrel out? i have never done this before and dont know what im doin but i got a kit on the way :D is there a step by step guide of building the rifle?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Even if you are doing a screw build, pressing the barrel out is the way to go.  You can punch the rivets out and tap your holes without the barrel in the way if you pull the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#34]
ahhhh i see now, i was going to do a screw build... so i guess we will see what route i go once i actually see the kit.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top