Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 7:55:20 PM EDT
I am interested in building a milled AK on a firing line receiver.  If I have a stamped kit, and the correct milled receiver, can I press the barrel out of the trunnion on the stamped kit and into the milled receiver?  What kinds of things would I have to worry about?  I suppose their could be headspacing problems, but is their anything else?  I have an underfolder kit on the way that I would love to have on a milled receiver, so the stock not being the same won't be an issue.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
thats not an easy task its alot harder than you think
unless you have 5-10 good builds under your belt
should prolly send it to a smith
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I will take your advise on the smith.  Are their any problems with the parts being from a stamped kit and the receiver being milled?  I just want to make sure of the compatibility between the two types.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#3]
im not shure ive never built on a fl rec
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
building a milled AK , requires machine tools .. a hand held dremmel tool just wont do..
you need precision cutting .. one slip and your $400.00 reciever is trash..
Really not recomended for a novice builder...   Now im talking about a real screw in barrel milled
build..   the press in barrel milled recievers are easier,,
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont know why people say the milled build is difficult. Its far easier than the stamped since your riveting is limited to the triger gaurd. In fact its relatively easy. However, you need to start with a parts kit that was originally built on a milled receiver.

If you have a milled parts kit with a threaded barrel but no threaded reeiver you simply take the barrel to a machine shop and have them turn the threads off the barrel. You can normally have this done for the flat rate shop fee. I paid $25 myself. You want a nice tight press fit into your receiver so make sure that the finished diameter of the barrel journal is only about six thousands of an inch smaller than that of the receiver opening.

I beleive FireingLine sells both versions for either a threaded or press fit barrel. That being said simply get the receiver to match your kit.

Trying to use stamped parts in a milled receiver may mean you need to fit the selector and other internals since they were designed for a thicker receiver.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I am bringing this back up...

Is there any good links with info on doing a milled build?

I am on the Milled AK kick at the moment and it looks like I have found a kit I want to build or have built...  I am more of a armchair builder as I have done 2-screw builds and I have 2-rivet builds just about done....

I also do have the tools including a Bridgeport M-head mill and Atlas 12x36 metal lathe but I am not a machinist either and I have yet to get my VFD hooked up to even use the 3-phase Bridgeport yet....

I am likely going to get my kit and put it away or hire the work out because of the money I have into the project but if this is not too complicated and I am not likely to screw up my kit made up of an element just short of "unobtanium" I would like to do it myself...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I posted how i built my milled build over at guns net last winter.. the posts should be there but the pics are not anymore..
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The first AK I ever built was a Milled Bulgarian.
It was not too difficult , but I'm a Tool and Die Maker and have access to whatever kind of equipment I need.
If you have the proper  Machine Tool equipment, and the ability. Then do it yourself. If not you will need the help of a gunsmith, or just let Firing Line build it for you.

I'm curious. What kit are you going to use?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The first AK I ever built was a Milled Bulgarian.
It was not too difficult , but I'm a Tool and Die Maker and have access to whatever kind of equipment I need.
If you have the proper  Machine Tool equipment, and the ability. Then do it yourself. If not you will need the help of a gunsmith, or just let Firing Line build it for you.

I'm curious. What kit are you going to use?

It looks like it is a done deal so I will share...

I have a line on a Polish Kbkg60 Milled Parts kit with all the Grenade launching accessories...  I am also getting a Bulgy Arsinal Milled receiver too...  This is looking to become one of my most expensive guns short of my NFA stuff but I really wanted this gun to go with the PMKM, PMKMS, and Tantials that I am working to build...

Here is most of what I know about these rifles...

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=536

I am really anxious to work on more of the details...

Also, this kit and receiver was inported many years ago... perhaps 2001 or maybe even earlier?  I am curious if 922(r) applies to a kit and receiver imported that long ago?  It would be nice to keep as much of the original parts just because this is something of a unusual rifle...  I just need to get the kit and receive and then work on the rest of the details!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Threaded reciever ?? or pinned?   if its pinned you build it just like a stamped reciever gun..
If threaded, you will need to index the barrel , by getting the barrel tight and having it line up.. you may have to turn the collar down on the barrel to get the sights to line up with the rear sight base..

or you can remove all the stuff on the barrel get it tight and fill the gas port with weld and drill a new hole..

next will be headspacing the bolt..  2 ways to do it.. mill the bolt lock lugs or mill the reciever surfaces where the lock lugs go..  I milled the lugs on the bolt on mine... care must be taken to get the same amount off both lugs and DO NOT change the angles..  I removed .002 at a time  checking the fit between passes..   I wound up taking a total of .16 off the lugs to get the bolt to lock up ..  each gun will be different..
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I got a pic of the parts I am looking at...

Looks to be a screw job to me...  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:22:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Threaded reciever ?? or pinned?   if its pinned you build it just like a stamped reciever gun..
If threaded, you will need to index the barrel , by getting the barrel tight and having it line up.. you may have to turn the collar down on the barrel to get the sights to line up with the rear sight base..

or you can remove all the stuff on the barrel get it tight and fill the gas port with weld and drill a new hole..

next will be headspacing the bolt..  2 ways to do it.. mill the bolt lock lugs or mill the reciever surfaces where the lock lugs go..  I milled the lugs on the bolt on mine... care must be taken to get the same amount off both lugs and DO NOT change the angles..  I removed .002 at a time  checking the fit between passes..   I wound up taking a total of .16 off the lugs to get the bolt to lock up ..  each gun will be different..

This sounds like getting a new replacement barrel and headspacing it and then adding the attachments is the easier way to go...  I assume making a threaded barrel would not be a big issue for a good gunsmith of course then the chrome lining would be an issue...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Sweet kit QB!  Very nice score.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top