Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/23/2005 7:26:10 AM EDT
Okay I got on the AK build wagon and got couple of flats and two Romanian kits recently.  I have no idea on how to go about building these rifles but I hope to learn.  I figured the first step towards building is to disassemble the kit to start cleaning and maybe refinishing.  

I can see that the front and rear trunion and trigger guard assembly needs to be taken off the cut frame.  So my question is, how do I get these parts off?  Do I just grind off the rivets with a dremel tool or is there a better way?

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#1]
What I do:

grind rivets off (I use an angle grinder)
remove receiver stubs
remove barrel pin and barrel
punch rivets out of trunnion
drill rivets out of rear tang
rivet front trunnion
reinsert barrel and pin
weld in rails
rivet in center support
trigger guard and selector stop
rivet in rear tang
paint receiver

I hope I didn't forget anything.  I did just wake up after all, and it's been a couple of weeks since I build a kit.

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Okay I got on the AK build wagon and got couple of flats and two Romanian kits recently.  I have no idea on how to go about building these rifles but I hope to learn.  I figured the first step towards building is to disassemble the kit to start cleaning and maybe refinishing.  

I can see that the front and rear trunion and trigger guard assembly needs to be taken off the cut frame.  So my question is, how do I get these parts off?  Do I just grind off the rivets with a dremel tool or is there a better way?

Welcome to the dark side   I think you need to come to a build party.  IM me city.  Regards.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What I do:

What size are the rivets? What size drill bit do you use?

Thanx in advance...

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#4]
hi guys, what part of florida is the build party going to be at???
i*m in west pasco, near hudson, someone  have a bending jig????
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on Florida build parties.  Is there any place in Florida that sells receivers/flats/rails/screw kits, or does everyone generally order them?

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
+2 on build party..............Weeki Wachie
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:
What I do:

What size are the rivets? What size drill bit do you use?

Thanx in advance...

Start small and work your way up.  When you get very close to the size of the rivet, the rivet will spin free and come out with the drill bit.  Sorry I don't know the sizes.  I just use what ever fits.  Just remember, start small, drill slowly and use lots of cutting oil.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Got it figured out...

Thanx.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
+3 on the build party .  ROAD TRIP!!!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top