Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/17/2005 10:52:03 AM EDT
does anybody due any builds in the p.a and new jersey area ..Or any group builds..Or just anyone with some knoledge..Thanks
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
sure are

quakertown pa

as soon as my bending jig shows up we'll have a build party
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you guys have the tools to rivet, barrel press, and headspace? If so I might join you all being only about 30 mintues away. Know of any competent smiths around here that can do builds too?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If anybody is interested, I am in philadelphia and have drill press and 12ton press.
(no drillbits through- they are all dull).
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I just joined this board because of you guys.  I live in Phila. and am also very interested.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in DE and am very interested in a build party if there is one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Im about 30 minutes from Philly , and can bring a drill press, bench grinder, dremel, rivit squeezer (still waiting for it to arrive) and a BFH.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#7]
If anybody has a TIG welder I would really like to use it at build party.
I also have many many tools (i am a tool freak), some of them are listed on reply higher.
I am also avaible during more of the weekdays (i work weekends)
thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#8]
well guys lets set this up and start a building ..
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]
ok guys lets try to get something together..I spoke to a couple of you now all we have to get is a time and a place...Im sure we could all set aside a little bit of time to have fun what do you think..
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#10]
im in minersville,..well my kits are,.. im visiting my dad in atlanta,.but i would love to have your guys supervision in the two i want to build.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I am just outside of Valley Forge...  I don't have room to host a build party and my time has been limited but I am pretty sure I have all the tools needed...

12-ton press
Xybec barrel Press
Plinker Rivet Jig
Two 555th Flat Jigs (these are on rotation but I will have them back soon)
DPH Arms Flat Jig
Drill Press
Bench Grinder
Dremmel Tools

I also have a huge stainless steel pan for parkerizing (No chemicals or a way to do park yet though)

7.62x39 Headspace Gauges
Lots or rivets
I have the drill bits and taps for screw builds but people need to buy their own to do those!

I could load it all in the truck and bring it to a build party... I have not got the chance to do a rivet build yet (darned work) but I could go through the process before hand...

So, who lives where we will not any the neighbors that could host a local party?  I just can't do it at my house as way too little space to work inside and PITA neighbors...
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#12]
well i live in a apartment but sure i could boot the old ladie out for a night as long as you guys dont mind humping stuff up a couple flights of stairs and turn my living room into a makeshift workshop,best i can offer until i buy a house and get the hell out of jersey..
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Just so you know, building can be a bit messy. There are metal shavings, ground bits of metal, sparks, cosmoline, oil, and all sorts of stuff that come into play. Are ya sure you want to do this in yer living room? Someone must have a garage or similar place to host the build.

Quoted:
well i live in a apartment but sure i could boot the old ladie out for a night as long as you guys dont mind humping stuff up a couple flights of stairs and turn my living room into a makeshift workshop,best i can offer until i buy a house and get the hell out of jersey..

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a house with a garage but Im in brodheadsville, PA - is that too far for you guys?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#16]
any idea how far away from the trenton n.j area..
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in Brodheadsville too.

Quoted:
I got a house with a garage but Im in brodheadsville, PA - is that too far for you guys?

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in wilmington.  I have a basement shop, but it's only big enough for a couple people, and I don't have all of the proper tooling for a rivet build..... Hell, I don't even have all the tools for a screw build, but I managed to cobble one together.

I'm more than happy to bring the tools I have and enough beer for everyone to the house of anyone who wants to host.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Brodheadsville is near Allentown PA. Im there all the time. Its not too far. Kookie, Ill give you a ride if ya like. Its about 45 minutes to an hour from Trenton. Count me in for the build.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't mind getting in on this AK build once I get all my parts.  Heck, I wouldn't even mind hosting it if someone would have something to rivet with.  However, for most of you, I'm guessing Lewisburg would be a pretty long haul.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Brodheadsville is fine with me--I live in Phila.  My basement can only hold two or three people (though I just built an 8 foot workbench).
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:50:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Brodheadsvillewill work for me im a hour and a half away,..i wont have all the parts i need to build but i woud like to watch and learn,..ill happly fetch tools/beer,....man the grill, whatever. or if this wont be for a week or two i should have everything i need by then for at least one build
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:04:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I am also waiting on some stuff, this will be my first build l - so a couple of weeks would work for me as well
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#24]
well count me in then,Just waiting on a couple parts,and am prpbably going to pick up a receiver at that gun show in pa 6,7 hopefully,thay have them there,oow is back order till middle of august..I got some bits and dies also have a drill press,Would be happy to bring it with,me..Maybe we should think about buying bulk parts as a group ir(rivets,screws or whatever)it might be cheaper..
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
well count me in then,Just waiting on a couple parts,and am prpbably going to pick up a receiver at that gun show in pa 6,7 hopefully,thay have them there,oow is back order till middle of august..I got some bits and dies also have a drill press,Would be happy to bring it with,me..Maybe we should think about buying bulk parts as a group ir(rivets,screws or whatever)it might be cheaper..

where at?,...in what city/town?

i hope global is not back loggedhinking.gif

so how do we figure on a date?.......i wont be aval. one weekend a month,.. just dont know what weekend until i report in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#26]
There is a  guy at the Valley Forge PA show that has 100% OOW receivers, but he is a bit expensive ($100 or so). Scott at DPH Arms has the new 7.62 Eubanks receivers in stock, and Ive heard good thing about them. Kookie, let me know if you order some, and maybe we can get a break on the price as well as the transfer. Also, will there be a press for the barrels at the build? I need to get some rivets as well.

dpharms.com/ewbanks-ak47-receiver-no-trunion-holes-p-114.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:32:06 AM EDT
[#27]
i'm gonna need a receiver and rivets as well
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#28]
i was gonna oreder 3-4 sets fo rivets fome me cause i know ill mess up the first few.,... so hoow do we do a group buy?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm up for a haul, depending on the date.  I have tons of rivets, but they are not the swell-neck type.  I also have 6 feet (!) of center support tubing in anyone wants to do flats.  I also have taps, dremel, various tools, and a bolt cuttuer that will hopefully be a riveting tool shortly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm offering my place for the build. If we get a sunny day we can use the gararge, driveway and basement.

Have a 12 ton shop press. Will have the bending jig. Have the barrel press jig.

Have 220V spot welder but no lower tong.

Have riveting jigs on order via weaponeer, but I doubt they'll even be her byu the end of August.

I say we shoot for the third or 4th saturday in august at my place in quakertown, zip 18951.

That gives me enough time to do some cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#31]
you can contact me at

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#32]
that works for  me,..ill go if nothng comes up,..it will be close on parts though,..

anyone else in?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#33]
That works for me too.  I have a drill press and large vise.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#34]
you can count me in ,Im going to speak for fishpaw,as i think he'd probably be in to,does this mean we can bend flats there to,If we can let me know,Ill by a bunch also is there anything I can bring I mean your supplying the place ,i'll have a couple extra screw kits and maybe some extra rivets  or should I bring beer for ya,dont be shy just let me know how i can help out..
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm probably in, although a date after labor day would work better.  I think a friend is also interested, if there is room.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#36]
i too would be interested, btw i am a newbee here.

i am in maryland and should be getting my tapco parts kits and flat this week, but mostly i would just like to fold my flat, put in the lower rails, and maybe rivet my trunions. i plan on doing some mods to the kit making it in to krink look alike. i like the fsb/gb  look of the krink. i was thinking about cutting up the stock fsb and welding it to the gb. and reloacting the stock rear sight to the cover which i would also make hinged like the krink. i know it would be easier to buy a krink kit but they are way too much money for me right now.

scott

edit: i could bring a mig welder which i know how to use
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah..Im in. I can bring a drill press, dremil w/ reinforced cut off wheel, bench grinder & pin punches of various sizes. Late august is good, and Quakertown is even closer to me than Brodheadsville.

Quoted:
you can count me in ,Im going to speak for fishpaw,as i think he'd probably be in to,does this mean we can bend flats there to,If we can let me know,Ill by a bunch also is there anything I can bring I mean your supplying the place ,i'll have a couple extra screw kits and maybe some extra rivets  or should I bring beer for ya,dont be shy just let me know how i can help out..

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#38]
took an image i found on the ak pics page ( thank you to the orginal owner ) and paint shopped it for the basic ideahttp://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/iB_html/uploads/post-24-65134-ak3.jpg
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:19:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Anybody shoot AK's in the West Central Jersey/Eastern PA area?  I put together an AK combat course that's a lot of fun.  Its all on silhouette targets which are at 50/100/200y.  

You guys in this area should also check out firearms.org for the water & wings internet boards shoot.  It's an absolute HOOT, and loads of good guys up there.  The next one is August 20th I think.

--Fargo007

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#40]
okay my parts kit and flat came in, i am ready when ever anyone else want to get together, even if some one wants to do a one day thing. i can bring a small drill press, mig welder, small oxy torch. i want to rivit mine but dont have the stuff to do it
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#41]
We will need the rivet jigs for doing trunions and trigger guards. I ordered them thru weaponeer, but they probably won't be here in time.

we'll need the correct drill bit for spacing the rails properly.

headspacing guages, although i have no idea how to adjust the headspace on an ak.

still need the lower tong for the spot welder. I will have some shrink tubing to cover the lower tong so it won't matter if it touches any metal.

an extra press and bending jig and barrel press kit would be nice. these tasks can be somewhat time consuming.

we need a mapp torch or equivalent for heat treating the receivers and rails. I think I have enough used motor oil for quenching.
It would be nice if someone could bring spare parts for sale, ie extra flats, rivets and center spacers.

let me know what else I may have forgotten
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a MAPP torch and have had good success using water to quelch.  

I used a standard set of drill bits to space my rails.  You space according to the trunnion, not by what size drill bit you use.

I have bolt cutters, but don't know if I 'll have time to grind them into riveters anytime soon.  I have a simple bucking bar I made to use with a hammer for rear trunnion and center support rivets.  I have an idea for riveting the trigger guard, but don't know if it'll work.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#43]
The bending jig has arrived
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#44]
i have a extra 7.62 bolt i can strip it down and we caun use it for head space,.or do you have to use that rifles bolt?

and does anyone have the go/no-go gauges for 5.45?

to adjust head space i think all you do is either move the barrel in or out before you out the pin in,.then re-check after pin is in place......please correct me if im wrong.

the only thing i have im willing to part with is a .45 mac-10 clone from masterpiece arms,..i hate reloading the one mag i have for it,..PITA i think,..but if any of yall want it we will figure something out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#45]
ok,i have a drill press,a couple screw build sets,some tap and dies and big dremel kit,and some clamps and drill bits..
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#46]
August 27th is THE date.

FYI I have never buitl an AK so I have Noooooooooooooooo experience. Hopefully someone with much knowledge will show.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#47]
send me e-mails to [email protected] for directions
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#48]
<bump>
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#49]
btt
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#50]
btt
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top