Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/21/2005 12:50:10 PM EDT
Im removing the rivets from my Romanian AKM kit. I pressed out the barrel and simply knocked out the rivets with a punch. They popped right out. Now, onto the rear trunnion. Looking at it, i cant tell if the rivet holes go all the way through the trunnion. So i got out my drill and drill bit set and started off with the smallest bit slowly enlarging it to remove all the pieces of the rivets. My question is, how far do i drill through? I got most if not all of the rivets out on the right side, but do i drill all the way through? How will i re-rivet it back together? How will the rivet smash down on the inside iff i drill it only partially the way through? Or, how will the rivet smash down if i drill all the way through?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
the rivet gos all the way threw (2 rivets not 4)
and it takes long rivets in the back
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok so i just drill them all the way through? Also, how do i get a rounded rivet head on each side? I had a kit build and on one side it was flat and i didnt like that. Is there a special rivet i get?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
yep drill all the way threw
they are supposed to be flat
there are ways to make them round but none are easy
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
On the standard Romanian rear trunnion there are two, long, swell neck rivets that go completely through the trunnion.  Dimple both sides of the receiver and support the rounded end of the rivet
with a rounded metal buck.  You can make the buck with a Dremel, or a rounded metal cutting bit. Size it to fit the head of your rivets.  Use a similar buck to round the flat end of the rivet when its pressed or hammered home.  RTC
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, cool thanks guys. I have the airgun rivet tools and it has a piece to do exactly what you say to do and another to do the actual riveting, cool this will be ease!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top