Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/18/2005 7:45:16 AM EDT

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful build!  One question!  Where are the rivets?  Did you weld it together, then grinde down the welds?

Yours,
One Rusty Nut.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]
This is on a Coldsteel RPK receiver.  I started out intending to do a screw build, but the poor fit of the rear tang on the rear of the receiver required welding. So I switched it to a weld build.  I have 2 of these receivers and they both fit the front trunnion in a beautiful way.  The snug right up to the raised area and required little fitting.  But, the rear block is narrower than the normal 1.25" (like 1.20" or less), plus the receiver is little wider inside than 1.25"  (like 1.30 or more) creating a visiable gap all around the rear block. A tiny gap could be ignored perhaps, but this one looked bad when it was squeezed down and the sides pulled in at the top but wider at the bottom.  I could not live with it, so I welded the rear block around the entire back to make it look seamless and then spot-welded the sides as well where the rivets would normally be.

Will test it this weeked, but first it needs a good electronic bore cleaning .
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Beautiful build!  One question!  Where are the rivets?  Did you weld it together, then grinde down the welds?

Yes. The welds replace the riviets or screws.  They must be done correctly (good penitration ) to insure the receiver is well connected to the trunnions.

I haved also welded an AMD pistol and a Russian underfolder from a milled kit.  I have only put 300 or so rounds thru each of them so far, so I can not speak for how well I did. But, so far, so good.  Others have reported no probs with many more rounds of testing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks great, can't wait to get started on my 2. How did you finish the receiver? is it blued or painted, I can't ell from the pics

Thanks,
Tom
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#5]
are you goning to use the "home made" method of electronic bore cleaning? And if so, can you give details about how to do it?

please?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Looks great, can't wait to get started on my 2. How did you finish the receiver? is it blued or painted, I can't ell from the pics

Originally, the parts were blued, but I am not setup to properly blue the entire receiver and make it look good.  This is dupli-color engine enamel from Autozone (low gloss). I spray on a few coats and then bake it at 450 for a couple hours to harden it up.  you may be able to tell that the safety lever is still the original blue.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
are you goning to use the "home made" method of electronic bore cleaning? And if so, can you give details about how to do it?

I am building one of the plans from (this PDF doc). There are also some plans (here) and (here) and a commercial version (here).  This is cake for anyone to slap together.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
thank you so much!

OH, BTW, your build looks VERY clean. I like that engine ceramic paint too. MAkes me wish I would have put the folder on my yugo, instead of the normal tang... doh!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#9]
nice very nice, great looking build, congrats
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
looks like you have the upper hand guard reversed, the holes dont seem to line up.
very nice build btw.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn that looks SOOO good.... i cant help but say screw it i and go with the underfolder for my first build...

very very nice job

(edit just one question did you use the RPK reciver for it or the yugo?)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Holy Smokes  that looks good! Where did you weld it? Any pics of this process ?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#13]

( just one question did you use the RPK receiver for it or the yugo?)

Coldsteel has them listed as the same (on this page)

" RPK/ RPK Underfolder/Yugo $30.00 standard steel//$38.00 .064 4130"

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Where did you weld it? Any pics of this process ?

I wish I had, but I was kinda wingin' it and so I didn't take the camera with me.  I always seem to forget to take picts when I am trying something for the first time.  

Look at this discussion (here) for a little more info on how to drill the holes, weld them up, etc.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
looks like you have the upper hand guard reversed, the holes dont seem to line up.
very nice build btw.....

On my kit the handguards look that way, too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
very nice build btw.....

On my kit the handguards look that way, too.

And there is nothing you can do about it, 'cause they only go on one way.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:25:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice job!  The Yugo trunnion has a lot more meat to support a weld build.  Let us know how it holds up over time.  RTC
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top