Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2005 2:12:53 AM EDT
Hey guys i was looking at CFS tonight for a parts kit.. orginally i was thinking of a AMD build, but then i saw that they had Yugo kits for around 110.. so right now i'm trying to figure out weach one to buy..

Yugo Basic
Rommy Basic
AMD

this is going to be my first build i have allready orderd my tapco flat and rails, and put in for the group buy on the rivets..

all of these kits are going for around the same price i would also love to do a underfolder but i heard that its more diffcult.

can the flat i orderd work for all of these kits? i am really pretty damn new at this and have just looked at pokkies sight and some of the posts on this forum for info..

the list question i guess is what else do i need to order.. from what i understand just a trigger group and a gas piston or some such to meet the minumim parts requrement..

Thanks for all the help
Jess
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:14:54 AM EDT
[#1]
tapco flat wont work with any of those but a rommy (my choice anyway)
it can be made to work with an amd but you have extra holes you have to fill that and the holes dont lineup perfect with an amd
yugo wont work with a standard rec it takes a rpk rec (unless you get a standard rec yugo) wich theres a snowballs chance in hell that will happen

for a first build i alway try and get people to use a 100% rec
it takes 1/2 the time for build and is alot easyer not to say you cant use your flat but i would wait till a second or third build for that if you have good luck with the first you will build more  
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I too would recommend the Romanian.  I have built AMD-65s on Tapco flats and just drilled the extra set of holes and used a dummy rivet in the unused holes.   I on the other hand have never "built" an AK on a 100% receiver.  My first build was an ACE bent blank, my second was a U-fold it and weld it receiver and every one since has been on flats that I bent.  Go ahead and bend your flats and quickly order your Romanian kit and what ever tools that you don't have and build yourself a nice Romanian.  BTW, this batch of Romanian kits is much nicer than the last ones I got from I/O.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
another vote for a romy kit.  its easy to build and they are the cheapest.  I just got 3 in from Scott at DPHarms.com and they are such a screaming deal at $125 each(with a tapco trigger group even!) that its not even funny.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Pick up a Romanian 7.62X39 parts kit (There are some incredible deals on these right now from many different vendors), or one of the excellent AK-74 5.45x39 kits from Wolfsburg Bob, at Akron Armory.  I would also recommend starting with a pre-made receiver.  Some of the best are available from Global Trades/Arsenal, or Ohio Ordnance Works.  The 1mm types would be easier for you to start with, as you would require few if any mods to your trunnions.  After you gain some experience, then try the Yugo/RPK builds.  Step by step instructions for screw, or rivet builds are available on these posts to get you going.  You came to the right place.  The guys on these posts will help you out.  RTC
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
just the things i needed to see too!
before i got my ak, i was about to buy a bushmaster ar. but now, i'm loosing interest in them so fast.
i've got the worst case of AK fever. I went to the gun show today and couldn't stop picking up little things to toy with as projects. then i caught my eye on several kits there and i suddenly knew i needed to learn to build.

so, start with a romanian kit, get a 100% pre-made 1mm reciever- easiest stuff to do.

i noticed most of the links in the "links for builders" thread were dead and gone.
is there a good page out there that isn't killed with a FAQ for a building newb like me.
dont know much of anything about building, so i'm trying to figure out what all i'll need, and where to get started.

edit: i'm assuming the romy kit is the romy akm kit on centerfiresystems, right?
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Scott, at DPH Arms, Centerfire, IO, and others have been advertising great condition Romanian kits at good prices.  HCPookie has a good build site but it is down temporarily.  Hopefully it will be up soon.  RTC  
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
At least as of last week Centerfire had the Romanian GP75 kits (the AKM with the fore pistol grip) but had not received the straight fore AKM kits... If you want one to ship right away, you probably have to go the two pistol grip route.

Lois has added some good vs. very good kits to her specials page for 79.97, but honestly it's worth the 20 bucks for the very good kits, 'cause so far they've all been excellent.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/lois.html
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
honistly the more warn kits build better rifles
they are smoother and fit better in the us "not an exact match" rec's
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#9]
i just ordered my first kit, romy akm in very good condition.
can't wait til it gets here. i'm so excited about learning to build as i go along.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Well done, son . . .

Romys are VERY good kits to learn on.

But . . . to save alot of grey hair I would order a "new" receiver -- like OOW or Arsenal.  

Believe me -- it wil be worth it for your first build.

After you get your kit and receiver go and cut-up your credit card.

You'll understand later . . . . .
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I think Banker Bill offers wise advise. hould
These really are the only two options. Resistance is otherwise futile.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#12]
YEP, What he said.  Welcome to the hobby.  They are like Lays potato chips, cant have just one.  Do a lot of reading before you ever put dremel tool to steel.  I used the library and Pookies web sight each step of the way in my first build.  Ask questions.  Lots of good people here waiting to help.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you need AT LEAST 2 of every kit you ever see!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think you need AT LEAST 2 of every kit you ever see!

That's exactly my problem except two usually turns into three or four. It's gotta stop!

My harbor freight press is backordered & it's killin' me!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Scott Gull has Romy kits on EE for $99 + actual shipping. You might wan't to check that out VERY NICE # matching kits
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#16]
This week, Bocefus, Centerfire, and others are selling matching, very good condition Romanian kits for $99.00 with shipping included!  The Yugo kits will dry up too, so pick one up now if you want to build one later on.  RTC
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#17]
honestly guys i never forgot about this thread his
i figure that way i can have my sweet sweet underfold and just get one of the new receviers coming out for it with a matching# and then just have my romy kit to learn and play on ..

god damn i havent even gotten my kit yet i'm allready addicted.. this could prove to be very very bad..

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top