Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2005 6:47:00 PM EDT
Just picked up a Bulgy AK74 kit for a build I'm working on.

First thing I notice is that the rear sight appears crooked (at an angle relative to horizontal)  when holding the upper assy up and looking through the sights.

Take the upper apart and immediately realize the the alignment of the rear sight base relative to the rear trunion is not good.  Appears that the rear sight base is mounted on the barrel at an angle (off vertical).  It is clearly visible to the naked eye.

I realize that I'm not working with the best craftsmanship ever, but it just seems that the alignment of the various parts on the barrel is not good.

Has anyone noticed this on their kits?  Ever have a related problem with the finished product?

SK
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
the way the rear sight fits into the trunnion it cant be off more than 1/16 its just not possible
id imagine its all in your mind as the 2 sides of the trunnion are at 2 diff hights
making everythang look off
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Got some pics of that?

It would be very odd to have the rear site base canted, simply because there is not much room to get the thing canted as it does go into the trunion and there is not much room for error. I have a 63 kit with the gas block canted and have heard of many Romys with the front site based canted.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]
In my origianl post, meant to reference the rear sight base and FRONT trunion aligment, not REAR trunion.

What I am seeing is definately not an optical illusion.

The slop that exists between the rear sight base and the front trunion is taken up completely in one direction.  This I can clearly see.

So if I hold the upper assy up and keep the front trunion vertical, the rear sight appears to slope down to the left.

I will borrow a camera so that I can take some pix.

Bolt and carrier seem to fit through the rear sight base nicely, so maybe I won't worry about it.  Just bothers me since it appears that a monkey assembled the rifle.

SK
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it that the front sight is out of plumb?  that is a quite common problem..  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Man, they were designed so that MONKEY'S COULD put them together. You'v got a perfectly normal AK!

OJF
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top