Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/10/2005 7:01:41 PM EDT
FYI, I just got back from Harbor Freight in Springfield, MO.  24" bolt cutters are on sale for  $8.49.  I don't know if this is a nation wide sale but it might be worth checking.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard that they changed the style and the new models have a shorter jaw that wont work for building a rivit tool. Just what Ive heard. However that does seem like a real good deal and hopefully Im wrong.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#2]
damn, I just got back from there

oh well, I got the $16 6" digital calipers.  worth it to me, this way I dont have to worry if I break the damn thing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to take a look at these. Bolt cutters are supplied with the customized rivet squeeze jaws.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have heard that they changed the style and the new models have a shorter jaw that wont work for building a rivit tool. Just what Ive heard. However that does seem like a real good deal and hopefully Im wrong.

Nah you can grind off the connecting plate for the extra clearance and you should be OK.  I'm going to try that on a new "loaner" set myself but haven't gotten around to the grinding - yet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#5]
We are having the same sale at Harbor Freight here in Cincinnat. I picked up a set!i
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah you can grind off the connecting plate for the extra clearance and you should be OK.  I'm going to try that on a new "loaner" set myself but haven't gotten around to the grinding - yet.

Thanks for clearing that up I always enjoy reading your posts and love your site.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a set of the 18" ones today to replace a jaw that I broke on a set that I bought.  And like Pookie said all you have to do is narrow the connector plate and they work like a dream.  A word of advice for all of us rivet squeezers.  If your rivet seems way too hard to squeeze, check and make sure you aren't trying to squeeze the trunnion with the rivet.  I found out that I was squeezing the trunnion when the jaw on my squeezer let out a loud "crack" and the flat side of the squeezer went flying at about the speed of sound across my basement.  So now I wear safety glasses and would ask all of you to do the same.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top