Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2005 5:04:45 PM EDT
First off, you guys are quite the helpful font of information. And now you've gotten me inspired to build an AK. I'm sure I'll have many questions, and so I'll just post them all in this thread to avoid forum clutter.

My first question is this: I'm looking at ways of folding without a jig. I've seen the laser cut flats that you need to weld after fold, but I don't have ready access to a welder and have never done any welding before.

I did stumble across the idea of simply scribing the fold with a dremel and then folding it along the scribe; no welds needed. I saw this here: www.akparts.com/akinfo6.html.

Here's the bit of info in question:

Then, use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to scribe the bend lines about halfway thru the metal. (about .020)...You can weld the seams if you like. I've done both welded and unwelded and both seem to hold up about the same.

I like this idea; it's easy, and it's within my abilities. But is this a generally accepted method of making a reciever?

I guess that's enough question to start off with.

Much thanks,
mr0w1
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a cheap Tapco flat to try just that, scribe with a dremmel.

The results pretty much sucked. For it to work, you will have to scribe the metal deeply and very straight, otherwise you will need too much force to bend it and the metal will stretch unevenly. If you try to support the metal with something...you are halfway to a bending jig.

I second that...if you scribe it enough to work, welds will be needed, it just takes too much material off.

If all you got is dremmel and drills, then the pre-bent blank is the way to go. I did one of those and it came out really well, though there is a lot of work and a lot of cutting.

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the welcome!

Mmmm...okay. So there's no shame in using a prebent receiver? I'll admit that I was kinda intimidated with the idea of crafting my own from a flat, but I dunno. I guess getting used to the whole AK workings (it'll be my first ever AK) with a prebent would be better and easier for all. :)

I was looking at maybe a Global Trades 1.0mm if I went the prebent route, although I've heard OOW is good too. I do have a drill press and a dremel tool, but that's about it. Basically, I'm just looking for a way to get an AK for under $300, and have a gun that's rock solid reliable. Possible, nay probable? I don't know.

In any case, y'all have persuaded me to put off my metal crafting notions at least for the time being. I should probably say thank you for it :).

Next question: Which should I go with, Global Trades or OOW, and do I need to specifically request that they not predrill the trunnion holes? Also, how long does it take for them to ship out?

Thanks mucho much,
mr0w1
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]
By prebent blank Im assuming he meant prebent 80% receiver. OOW and Arsenal are completed receiver and will need to go through a ffl. If you are wanting a 80% prebent blank I would check out cold steel solutions. You can probably track down their site by doing a search.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, when I said prebent I mean't complete receiver, and I know that it'll have to go through a FFL, but meh, it happens.

Thanks for the advice; I'll see if there's anyone locally with the stuff to do a build.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to build an AK of at least Romanian quality with a 100% receiver and a parts kit, and do it for less than $300? If it'll cost any more than that, it'd almost be worth my time to just go guy a Romanian. I just really liked the idea of doing one myself, if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got two of the Global Trades 1.0mm receivers that I am in the process of doing builds with.  Everything is lining up perfect.  The mags fit tight in the well, the trigger / hammer set fit right in with the selector fitting nicely, and the bolt / bolt carrier slides smoothly and the rails match the trunnions.  It fit so well that I put the gun together just slipping the trunnions into the receiver without anything holding them and was able to hand cycle a full mag clip through it.

As soon as I receive my rivet build tooll set from cwtoyota, I'll be ready to finish these and will post pics.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I thank you all for your input, but I came across a WASR for $250 that I just couldn't pass up. There's a lot to be said for doing it yourself, but there's also a lot to be said for not having to deal with the trouble.

This probably won't be my only AK though, as I feel sure that I'll end up building one some time, and when I do, I'll be back. :)

Thanks,
mr0w1
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top