Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/11/2005 1:26:15 PM EDT
I've got a threaded barrel that I'am putting on a milled receiver.  When I screw the barrel tight it stops at about the one o'clock position.  I considered placing a thin shim around the barrel flange to bring the barrel back to 11 o'clock before tightening but if I back the barrel off at all the head space becomes excessive.  I plan to remove metal on the barrel flange until the barrel will screw furter in to the 11o'clock position before tightening.  By doing this I realize that the camber will be much deeper into the receiver making the headspace tight.-- I checked the head space with the barrel in the 1 o'clock and it gauges correctly.hinking.gif   how.  I was told that chamber reaming was not a option due to the chrome lining.  My thought was to remove material from the bolt locking lugs until a proper head space is obtained.  Opinions?  Options?  Pity?  Any input would be appriciated.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Mg5
Ihad the same problem with my milled build. Had to set the barrel shoulder back to get the barrel in the proper position. Then got it to headspace by removing some material from the backside of the bolt lugs to get proper headspace. Go slow and remove equal amounts from each lug. Hope this helps. Good luck on your build.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply,  I quess I will work on the barrel shoulder.  Since its so much metal I might put the project on hold as I plan on purchasing a small lathe soon.  Murpy's law on the barrel stopping at 1o'clock.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top