Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 12:13:35 PM EDT
Has anyone built with a Mak 90 parts kit?  
Are there any issues to be aware of?  
How was the quality of the parts?
Picts
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking at them because of price, look again. They have threaded barrels for milled recievers which are pretty expensive. You could turn down the threads and use a trunnion, I'm not sure if a new 19mm chinese type trunion would work or not. Global Trades sells them though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you're looking at them because of price, look again. They have threaded barrels for milled recievers which are pretty expensive. You could turn down the threads and use a trunnion, I'm not sure if a new 19mm chinese type trunion would work or not. Global Trades sells them though.

Plus they are missing the front and rear trunion. Im sure the parts are very nice but I personally dont see much of a use for them without the required trunions.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
DOH! hock.gif

You are right. That would be a good challenge, but I'm not up to it yet. Will leave it to those with the right machinery.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus they are missing the front and rear trunion. Im sure the parts are very nice but I personally dont see much of a use for them without the required trunions.

Umm isnt that what I already said?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are looking at one of those kits available from Center Fire Systems - the description stating the barrels are threaded on the chamber end is inaccurate.  If you are familiar with chinese AKs, all of their barrels have machining marks along the length from when they were originally turned down to their final diameter - these machining marks are what the description is calling "threaded".   They are a complete matching SN# parts kit from a stamped rifle, minus the trunnions, receiver and trigger guard.  All the parts were in excellent condition.

The only part you will have trouble locating would be a 19mm front chinese trunnion, I found some, but they were over $100 each, just as much as the rest of the parts kit.  I just picked up a NIB MAK 90 instead. Global Trades doesn't have any 19mm euro-conversion trunnions available and doesn't expect to for at least 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm isnt that what I already said?

Pretty much but I think someone might not of realized that no trunions are included.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top