Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/8/2005 3:35:53 PM EDT
I have heard that Vulcan receivers can be used for either 5.45 or 7.62 if you remove some of the ejector. Is this true? I have one maked "Model 47 7.62x39 cal". I would love to be able to use this on my Bulgy '74 that I am building. Anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#1]
no it wont work
the mag hole is smaller in a 74
you could use it with alot of work but its not worth it
receivers are hard to come by without ordering them
so if you take it to a local show you can actually sell it for more than a new 1
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine has built two 74's on Vulcans and they work just fine. I've shot them on a couple occasions. I've got one that is all ready to rivet. It required no extra work compared to the 47's I've built.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm shocked noone admonished you for using the V-Word.  Is vulcan/Hesse quality improving???
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Vulcan AK receivers are not bad for the money. You just have to make sure you properly harden them yourself.
JoeBud - Look at the side of your receiver and see how it is labled (7.62 or 5.45). I thought there was only one version but socandyman is right. The '74 magwell is longer and thinner. You could make the 7.62 work by making the magwell longer with a file but the mags would always wobble. I have a new 7.62 receiver to trade for a 5.45 if anyones interested.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
To my knowledge they are all marked 7.62. If I'm not mistaken they made the ejector longer so you could build both. My '74 is temporarily screwed together and the mags fit tight. Yes, there is a slight gap on the sides of the mag, but it does not wobble at all. It locks up nice and tight. Again, a friend has riveted two together and they fuction just fine and did not require extra work. I don't know if socandyman has  tried building one, but I'm sure there are many others who have.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#6]
by extra work i ment doing it right adding the extra metal to close the gap
i dont do thangs halfassed
you really have to ask yourself am im building somethang i can be proud of
or just somethang that gos bang
if its the ladder go buy a beatdown rommy you will save some money and time

as to why i didnt say anythang about the vulcan/hesse
he knows what he has and theres no reason to beat a dead horse
like i was saying befor tho at the last show i went to there was a guy selling hesse rec's at 150 each he had like 10 and sold them all  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I actually do prefer to build things that go bang. I'd be upset if they didn't. Sorry, but I don't base my accomplishments in life on whether or not there is a 0.028 inch gap between the mag and mag well or not. All of my builds are on Vulcan receivers and they all go bang and function just fine.

Smokinyoda, I'd ask on some other boards as well. I know there are many who have built 74's on Vulcans with success. If anything you shouldn't have much trouble getting rid of your Vulcan. If I had plans on building another I'd offer to buy it, but I think I'm done building.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sorry, but I don't base my accomplishments in life on whether or not there is a 0.028 inch gap between the mag and mag well or not

+1

Seriously, there is no perceptible extra "gap" when using a Vulcan to build a '74.  Even if there was, I could live with a magwell gap far easier than the huge selector gap on Ohios.

I have personally built 3 Bulgy 74 kits usin Vulcans.  All went together flawlessly and function equally as well.  Vulcans are excellent receivers IMO.  The ONLY issue with Vulcans and AK74s is the rear trunnion holes.  They are drilled for the 47 trunnion so the forward holes do not line up.  Just spend the extra few bucks and order a 47 trunnion when you order the kit.  They will work fine with the fixed 74 stocks.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top