Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/1/2004 6:36:45 AM EDT
1)  I made the mistake of not scribing my barrel and trunnion with match marks prior to pressout.  Can I eye-ball the barrel back in and then use the barrel pin re-install to align the barrel?

2) How do you place the holes for the trunnions?

3) Are there any secrets to getting the rear full length rivets out, or do I have to drill them out?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
1)  I made the mistake of not scribing my barrel and trunnion with match marks prior to pressout.  Can I eye-ball the barrel back in and then use the barrel pin re-install to align the barrel?

3) Are there any secrets to getting the rear full length rivets out, or do I have to drill them out?

Thanks

1) Donno.

2) I used masking tape and made a rubbing of the holes and then transferred the tape to the receiver. This has the added bonus of helping to keep your drill bit from skipping around the hardened metal.

3) Most just drill them. I busted 2 drill bits in one of mine so a friend is attempting to use his hydraulic press to push it out. I'll try to remember to let you know how that goes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No expert here, but I just put mine in a drillpress, and locked down the trunion as best I could
align it in an upright position. Then after center-punching each rivet so the bit won't wander, I
started drilling with smaller-than-rivet sized bit (say a 3/16) with lots of lube. I drilled halfway
through on all, then flipped it over and repeated the same from the opposite side. After I had
drilled through, I progressed up in size, bit-wise. And like I said above, lube, lube, lube. No such
thing as too much in this case if you want to minimize chances of breaking bits.

After I was on my third bit, I noticed that the rivet had started to extrude/poke out of the shaft,
and I was able to grab each one with a needle-nosed vicegrip, and pull out the remnants like a
straw.

Just double-check on the trunions being upright before you start drilling. I was told (and saw it
happen to another guy) that if offcenter, the bit will break if it hits the trunion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Y'all
I am also thinking about parking my bolt carrier, but not the bolt itself.  Will the gas piston be affected by this, if i do not take it apart?
Thanks again
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks Y'all
I am also thinking about parking my bolt carrier, but not the bolt itself.  Will the gas piston be affected by this, if i do not take it apart?
Thanks again

I believe that the gas pistons are stainless so they won't park. I'm contemplating doing an entire AK either parked or in park grey paint. I think it would look damned cool.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks

Press the barrel back in, The rear sight base will help index the barrel and the barrel pin will help to further index the barrel when installed.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top