Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 12:21:15 AM EDT
A couple years back I bought a Polish underfolder kit that I really didn't have any use for.  Everything looks brand-spanking new, but I don't know what to do with it.  So I guess my questions are:

(1) assuming I can find a suitable receiver (which means a complete, ready to go reciever, NOT an 80% receiver), how much harder is it to build an AK than an AR?  

(2) If it's not too big a deal (i.e., requires lots of special tools, welding, etc.), who sells suitable receivers?

(3) If it is a big deal, is there someone who might assemble one for me at a very reasonable price?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL at least your topic is honest.

Answers IMO:

1) Depends on how you build it, I haven't built an AR but I know what goes into it an AK's a quite a bit trickier. You could do a screw build or a rivet build. Screw builds do not need a whole lot in the way of tools but to do rivets  requires some tooling up.

2) OOW or Global Trades make decent US recievers.

3) I'd recomend Mark Tucker at Coyote Gulch Armory in WA, he did a beautiful underfolding RPK74 for me. Coyote Gulch

4) You could always just sell it to me cheap too!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#2]
i'm too lazy to respond....
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i'm too lazy to respond....

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#4]

(1) assuming I can find a suitable receiver (which means a complete, ready to go reciever, NOT an 80% receiver), how much harder is it to build an AK than an AR?  

Anybody can make an AR-15 with little more then knowledge needed and rather common tools.  

Building an AK requires more tools, stills, and metal working skill but your average teenager can build one once you spend the time and money to the basics. The problem is you can spend well over $500 in tools and for a single build it would be smarter to buy one done or hire the work out.

(2) If it's not too big a deal (i.e., requires lots of special tools, welding, etc.), who sells suitable receivers?

Lots of places, but I like www.ohioordnanceworks.com/

(3) If it is a big deal, is there someone who might assemble one for me at a very reasonable price?

Lots of places build AKs...  I am building my own.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm too lazy to search, so just tell me....how much harder is it to build an AK than an AR?

Typical AR owner:)

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The screw method doesn't seem that difficult.  Took me about an hour and several drill bits to get the old rivets out.  I just need to tap the holes, drill the trunion holes and assemble.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
you could always....just sell it!!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I've built an AR and I just finished my first AK.  They are very different animals.  With the AR I had to do some minor mods to the receiver (reaming of holes that weren't exactly right and whatnot) other than that it was pretty much a "insert Tab A into slot B" type thing.  The AK is different.  On my receiver (and I think it's the same for most stripped receivers) the trunion holes don't come pre-drilled.  The different makes of AK's have different spots for this.  So, you have to do this yourself.  And I don't know if anyone makes an underfolder stripped receiver.  You would probably definitely have to send it to somebody else to have this done.  If they're going to do this they could probably just assemble the whole rifle, much more professionally, for not much more money.  I'm not an expert.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top