Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/25/2004 6:10:23 PM EDT
Do they use a gun or a press or something else?  Is there a prefered method?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
12ton+ press and Plinker's jig are the best I've seen.  You'll need another jig to do the trigger guard, but akbuilder.com can set you up.  Air tools are a bit too tough to control, and hydraulic squeezers are too cumbersome/pricey.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on plinkers jig... I don't have mine yet but I have seen some rivets done with one and it absolutely does a fantastic job...

quarterbore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=235#235

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
12ton+ press and Plinker's jig are the best I've seen.  You'll need another jig to do the trigger guard, but akbuilder.com can set you up.  Air tools are a bit too tough to control, and hydraulic squeezers are too cumbersome/pricey.

take care,
Tec

That address takes me to a construction website.  Are you sure it is akbuilder.com?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
www.ak-builder.com/ak/trigger_jig.htm

This is a jig you can build or skip....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do they use a gun or a press or something else?  Is there a prefered method?

I guess it would depend on the type of equipment and tools you have access to.  Using a metal welding table in a maintenance shop, I laid the receiver on one side and used a pin punch through the top and set the rivets on the bottom.  Then I flipped the receiver over, moving it close to the edge of the table, and used a modified c-clamp to set the other side.  I notched the head of the clamp to fit inside the receiver, and welded a short stud on the end to bear down on the rivet shaft.  Worked great.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Then I flipped the receiver over, moving it close to the edge of the table, and used a modified c-clamp to set the other side.  I notched the head of the clamp to fit inside the receiver, and welded a short stud on the end to bear down on the rivet shaft.  Worked great.

I'm having trouble picturing this... can you post  a picture of your modified c-clamp?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Then I flipped the receiver over, moving it close to the edge of the table, and used a modified c-clamp to set the other side.  I notched the head of the clamp to fit inside the receiver, and welded a short stud on the end to bear down on the rivet shaft.  Worked great.

I'm having trouble picturing this... can you post  a picture of your modified c-clamp?

Yes I can, glad to do it...I'll have to retrieve it from work, and I'll snap a couple and post it.  Give me a day or two.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top