Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 7:04:46 AM EDT
OK, I've ordered an Bulgarian AK-74 parts kit, a US made receiver from OOW, a US made pistol grip and US made FCG. But all of these kits have a disclaimer stating:

"The barrels in this kit may not be used to assemble new firearms that would be prohibited from importation Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 925 (d) (3) ".

What exactly does this mean? Do I have to get a US-made barrel? Is the fact that I have enough US-made parts sufficient to satisfy this caveat?

Please help as I would not like conjugal visits while in Federal prison.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey!

I puzzled over these disclaimers myself untill i read  there is some  regulation  which  boils down to this:

They are not allowed to sell the parts, except as replacement parts.  But you are allowed to buy them and proceed under the regulations which apply to BIY, ect.  

So there are disclaimers in the catalogs -- Meaningless artifacts from a parallel universe.

If I run across the site where I found this, I'll send a link.

By the way, that Bulgarian74/OOW will turn into a nice little rifle!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The rifle, from which came your kit, cannot be imported, because it does not satisfy the 'sporting use' requirement. Likewise, a rifle rebuilt from parts, identical to the rifle not allowed to be imported would be in violation of federal regulations. If the rebuilt rifle does not contain more than ten imported parts (from the specific federal list of twenty parts), then the rifle is not considered to be in violation. A rifle with no more than ten imported parts is considered to be a domestically manufactured firearm, and not subject to the particular 922 provisions that prevent importation.

Harlan
FAC
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top