Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/22/2004 10:52:06 AM EDT
Any of you guys dealt with Arsenal / Globaltrades for a blank receiver?  http://www.globaltrades.com/new16mmreceivers.html

Thinking about picking up a MAK 90 parts kit, and then getting the receiver/trunnions from these guys.

One other question - any special paperwork required to purchase a blank receiver?  Or is it just the usual yellow form?  Globaltrades is in Houston, TX - I'm in Dallas, TX -  would I still need an FFL to ship the blank to me?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
apparently the trunnions for the chinese guns are an absolute whore to get as they are a 19mm versus 21mm for euro trunnions if I remember correctly.  that would be the biggest hurdle in building up a MAK

but if you can find them or get them made, go for it man, MAK's are very well built, I love mine
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I'll call them up and see if they have the chinese trunnions in stock.

http://www.globaltrades.com/ak_receivers.html - see part B-187
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
if they are the 1's im thinking of ive heard they do good work but havnt actually got anythang from them
as for the sizes (i think) 19mm=mak 21mm=74 23mm=47
but i do know alot of the mak barrels are threaded at trunion end so make shure what your getting
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I guess I'll call them up and see if they have the chinese trunnions in stock.

http://www.globaltrades.com/ak_receivers.html - see part B-187

well hot damn, that looks like a winner there, by all means find out and report back
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#5]

but i do know alot of the mak barrels are threaded at trunion end so make shure what your getting

I've got a parts kit on the way, when it shows up I'll know for sure.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Any of you guys dealt with Arsenal / Globaltrades for a blank receiver?  http://www.globaltrades.com/new16mmreceivers.html

Thinking about picking up a MAK 90 parts kit, and then getting the receiver/trunnions from these guys.

One other question - any special paperwork required to purchase a blank receiver?  Or is it just the usual yellow form?  Globaltrades is in Houston, TX - I'm in Dallas, TX -  would I still need an FFL to ship the blank to me?

Thanks...

I ordered the type 2 receiver and some rivets from Global Trades by phone.  I was able to also pay for them by phone.  I had the parts shipped to a FFL pawn shop right across the street from my subdivision. (after consulting with them)  There is paperwork that is exchanged between the FFL dealer and Global Trades, hence the handling fee that dealers charge for FFL transfers.  Some dealers want this up front, and some will collect when the part comes in...  Anyway, when the parts came in, I filled out the form 4473 and I was in business.  Easy as pie.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Update : I'm talking with a Mod in the Global Trades / Arsenal USA forum on The Gun Network - he says the 19mm trunnions Global Trades has available was made specifically for Chinese barrels.

My parts kit should be delivered today - I'll know for sure if the barrel is threaded on the chamber end or not soon.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm - just found elsewhere, the barrel in the parts kit I've got coming is threaded - as its from a disassembled milled chinese rifle.

Which means I need to thread the trunnion, turn the threads off the barrel, find a milled chinese receiver or scrap the parts kit and just buy an assembled AK.  Decisions, decisions......
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Well - I'm going to have to post some images somehow, of what the barrel looks like.  CenterFireSystems said it was threaded - but if those are threads I don't know what for.  Looks like machine marks from when the barrel was originally turned.

I need to get some clarification about where on the barrel the trunnion is pressed on - is it the very last inch or so of the barrel on the chamber end, or is it the raised area about an inch in length, about 1 inch from the chamber end?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I have some answers now.  The barrel I have is a chinese 19mm barrel and its not threaded.  Global does not have any 19mm trunnions, and they don't exepct to have any for at least 6 months.  I do have a possible lead on where to locate a real 19mm chinese trunnion though - I'll call this guy up tomorrow and see how much he wants for one.  If its cost prohibitive, I'll scrap the parts kit and build idea, and just pick up an assembled MAK 90 to work with.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#11]
well if it is cost prohibitive, just wait till global gets them in and build away
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top