Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/15/2004 5:32:14 AM EDT
Want to build a 7.62 pistol while I still can. Who makes recievers that are registered as PISTOLS? Contact info?

Thx.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no such requirement....  A stripped receiver is neither a Rifle or a Pistol so you can use a stripped receiver to build either.  I have a pair of OOW receivers that I bought and had transfered to me on my 4473 and Pennsylvania Pistol Transfer forms as PISTOL RECEIVERS to cover my butt but even that is not really required by the BATFE... your state and local laws may vary!

I pulled the relevant laws and info I have that are specific to an AK Pistol and put them here:

www.quarterbore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216#216

The AMD-65 kits make a very cheap and easy way to build an AK-pistol.  Before these the Krink kits were the only other easy option and they run about $400 or so for one of these kits.  I have two AMD-65 kits built as pistols and while I have not got to shoot them yet (honestly still finishing the builds) these are some very slick pieces!

Bust be warned that while the BATFE may not have much legal ground to stand on with the two vertical grips is an AOW... that is still their oppinion so I wouldn't suggest keeping the forward grip unless yu like court battles...

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Coolness, as I already have a 7.62 and a 5.45 lower on the way (I know not to make the 5.45 a pistol).

I would prefer to make a krinkov-based pistol, but the $400 parts kit is a no-go at this time. An $80 AMD-65 parts kit (from centerfire systems) is a lot more reasonable, but the length concerns me.

Questions:

1) The AMD-65 barrel is listed as being 12.6" long. Does that length include the muzzle brake? Will it run with the muzzle brake removed?

2) I do not want to challenge "the man" on the front pistol grip issue-- I assume the amd-65 uses similar handguards to a standard ak, correct?

3) How much work is it to shorten a barrel on an ak (by moving the gas chamber rearward)? Is it easier to just put a krinkov barrel and gas port and gas tube on the gun? Should I just buy the krinkov kit and forget the AMD-65 kit?

Oh yeah, the intended use for this pistol is for CC under the seat of my truck. I used my SAR-1 w/folder (26.5" long) for a test fitting and it wouldn't conceal well, the barrell sticks out the back into the supercab area.

Thx again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
1) The AMD-65 barrel is listed as being 12.6" long. Does that length include the muzzle brake? Will it run with the muzzle brake removed?

Barrel length is determined by the length of the barrel without a HFH mounted...  Still, with the standard AMD-65 FH it is under 16-inches so it would be a legal pistol.  On mine, I am using a dormal AK Slant Brake and it looks great.

2) I do not want to challenge "the man" on the front pistol grip issue-- I assume the amd-65 uses similar handguards to a standard ak, correct?

Here is the info you need www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202087

3) How much work is it to shorten a barrel on an ak (by moving the gas chamber rearward)? Is it easier to just put a krinkov barrel and gas port and gas tube on the gun? Should I just buy the krinkov kit and forget the AMD-65 kit?

If you can live with the AMD-65 it is a nice was to get a cheap pistol...  Cutting it down will be a PITA as you will need to turn down the barrel in a lathe, replace the gas tube and piston, redrill the barrel, weld the old gas port, and then who knows...?  If can be done but at a pretty large cost!

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I just took the vertical grip off the AMD and it looks fine. You don't notice the extra hole and little nub to hold it in place unless you really look for it.

But then I like the all metal look of the AMD. The only plastic on mine is the pistol grip, and maybe a buffer.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top