Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/11/2004 10:55:01 PM EDT
I have the Tapco retaining wire (www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=AK0649), G2 double hook trigger, an AMD 65 kit and an OOW receiver.

I got the group together (required cutting a notch in the receiver and modifying the safety), but I can't figure out how this particular retaining wire fits in. It does not look like the others that I have seen and I can't find any instructions online.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The round part goes over the left (driver's) side hammer hinge into the groove to keep it in place. The long curved part goes under the left side trigger pin into the groove to keep the trigger pin from sliding out. The upward pressure holds it in. Yours looks exactly like the one in both my AMD and my WASR. I use a flat tip screwdriver to press it down while installing the pin. After completely seating the pin I pop it right into the groove. Installing it takes a little getting used to. It helps to look at a complete AK to use as a reference.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, the curved part on this wire is WAY too high to push down like that. I tried last night and I couldn't get it in there. Also, this receiver doesn't have a groove. It looks like it has enough room anyway thugh.

Maybe I'll just give up and buy one of those retaining plates that tapco sells. Or maybe a different retaining spring.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The grooves are not in the receiver, they are in the pins. Once the pins are completely seated, the groves are visible on the inside. The spring operates like a c-clip on the front (hammer) pin, and does indeed go under the rear pin's groove. If there is too much height for the rear, you might be able to bend it a LITTLE, but if you bend it too much it won't put enough pressure on the trigger's pin. Send me your email and I'll email you a pic of mine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]
tagged as I was also trying to figure this out but never got to get back to it....
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]
That style of retainer can also be used backwards, ie the round part around the trigger pin and the other end putting pressure on the hammer pin. It's really a PITA to get it in this way, but it if you have a Vulcan rec. with a slightly oversized axis pin hole for the trigger, it locks it down good and tight.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
So I finally got the damn thing on. I am DEFINITELY going to get a retaining plate as a replacement. It goes on just like it should, but by the time I managed to smush it down far enough it was permanently deformed and then it was STILL a bitch to get on.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top