Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 5:02:44 AM EDT
Hi Guys. In building my 65 I have a few questions for the pro's. Do both trunions count as one imported part, or are they two parts? Also, do the magazine parts only count for fixed mags? If I am at my ten part limit before mag insertion, does that mean I can only use totally US-made mags? Are pre-ban mags exempt from this, or is it only when they are inserted into pre-ban AK's? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't planning on changing either trunion, but I do need to know if they count as two parts or one. Right now I have a G2 trigger (3 parts), Ohio receiver, and Tapco barrel extension. I'm trying to figure out how many more US parts I need. I'd like to be able to use old foreign mags if possible, since I have several already. I might change the break for a US one, then the pistol grip, and if that isn't enough, the gas piston as a last resort. Before I do any of this, I need to get an accurate parts count, and figure out the magazine issue.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#3]
The part you are referring to as a rear trunion is not a part that BATF&E includes on the master list of twenty parts. The trunion into which the barrel inserts is on the master list. The master list includes three mag parts: body, follower and floorplate. Each counts as one part when latched into the rifle.

Harlan
FAC
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I must be forgetting something. Right now I count the following 9 parts as foreign: Barrel, Muzzle brake, bolt, bolt carrier, gas piston, buttstock, pistol grip, forearm guard, front trunion. I was told by a manufacturer that the front pistol grip does not count separate, it is considered part of the forearm guard. I noticed "trigger housing" is a part. I'm guessing that is not the trigger guard, but rather the SKS style trigger assembly. So that would currently put me at 9 foreign. My trigger, hammer, disconnector, barrel ext. and receiver are domestic. Am I correct at 9 imported, 5 domestic or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Most AK mags are imported, and the complete mag counts as three imported parts (body, follower, and floorplate).
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Does anybody know where to get completely US made mags? If not I guess the brake and grip will have to be swapped.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does anybody know where to get completely US made mags? If not I guess the brake and grip will have to be swapped.

tag
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I'm a dummy, but: what does "Tag" mean? Just curious, I see this here all the time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Shit can that barrel extention and get a U.s made extended brake.And dont forget to permently attach it.And round up a tapco u.s. made gas piston and your golden.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#11]
See if this link helps...

quarterbore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#12]
My AMD-65 will have all the required parts.  Here are my questions.

1.  ATF says, "(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:
(3) Barrel extensions
(10) Trigger housings"

What keeps a "barrel extention", using OEM flash suppressor, from being counted as a compliant part?  It is a barrel extension.

2.  If we make our own AK trigger guard, can this be counted as a compliance part?  Is a trigger housing and trigger guard the same?  Housings generally include the trigger, hammer, sear, and that stuff.  Trigger guard usually just protect the trigger.  ATF should have been more clear on this one.

I read the above mentioned link: good information.  If it is in the above link, I missed it.  ATF leaves much to confusion.  I haven't read anything conclusive on either the barrel extension or trigger guard.

Anyone have any thoughts?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
use your head,,,and if they,,the powers to be come to treat you like a non citizen(no rspect and full   of ignorance become a true patriot,,,think of it we are born to die,,so ask your self how do you want to go,,,cow tow ing to the powers to be or a  MAN!,,,you will die either way,,,patriot or in a nursing home with tunnelling bedsores and then going septic,,,,that is the reality..and I'm certain that you've not seen the horrors of a prolonged incredibaly painful death procecess...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
use your head,,,and if they,,the powers to be come to treat you like a non citizen(no rspect and full   of ignorance become a true patriot,,,think of it we are born to die,,so ask your self how do you want to go,,,cow tow ing to the powers to be or a  MAN!,,,you will die either way,,,patriot or in a nursing home with tunnelling bedsores and then going septic,,,,that is the reality..and I'm certain that you've not seen the horrors of a prolonged incredibaly painful death procecesses...
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:34:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I've seen it.  I am a Fire Medic for the racist, "diverse", and "tolerant" City of Atlanta.  I've seen how companionate Medicare is and how it kills the patient slowly by hacking off one extremity at a time to save the life of a patient who was long ago comatose.  I've seen my confiscated money (taxes) wasted to treat Medicaid (welfare) pukes ride an ambulance to the ER for a common cold...so that ALL treatment is paid at 100%, including the several hundred dollar ambulance ride.  

Most Americans have a soft white underbelly.  They will never take a stand as long as they have food in their stomachs, a roof over their heads, and gasoline in their cars (at any price).

Do not assume things I have not seen.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Atlanta, the way the muzzle extensuion goes is this: If you do not have one, then it does not count against your ten-imported-part limit. If you have an american one, it does not count either. If you have a foreign one it counts as a part. If you have a foreign extension AND a foreign brake/flash supp., then they count as two foreign parts, I think. Remember, it's not how many compliance parts you have that counts, it's how many foreign parts (no more than ten).

I think the "trigger housing" category does not apply to the AK rifles.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Have you ever seen a foreign barrel extention that is on the muzzle end of a gun? I have never even heard of one.That leads me to beleive that the barrel extentions they are refering to are the ones on the breach end .Like on the ar-15 and almost all belt feed weapons.Any thing that I have seen that could even remotely be seen as a muzzle end barrel extention is a brake,flashhider or can.Some kind of a device.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:59:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I was kind of "iffy" of the trigger housing versus a trigger guard.  That whole "barrel extension" thing is still confusing as heck.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Barrel extension refers to the part at the breech end of the barrel. An AK does not have such a part.
Trigger housing refers to the componet that holds in place the fire control section. A trigger guard is not considered to be a trigger housing. An AK does not have a trigger housing because the fire control parts are held in the receiver. An FAL or G3 has a trigger housing, separate from what is considered to be the receiver.

Harlan
FAC
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Thank you.  That clears it up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are building an AMD-65, there is a (muzzle-end) barrel extension available. It goes between the brake and the muzzle. I doubt there are any foreign made ones, but if there were I would suspect that the ATF would consider that a foreign part. I always try to err on the side of safety when comes to these guys. I hear they have gotten plenty of people on technicalities. I ordered the US-marked Tapco combination extension and brake, to kill two birds with one stone. It is 19.99 direct from them. Now I just need to figure out how to permanently attach it.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top