Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/4/2004 7:56:41 AM EDT
Is there an AK-47 kit that requires no drilling or machining? I am trying to find an AK kit that I can put together with my very limited tools and skills that is similar in difficulty to an AR build.

Please give advice and post suggestions!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
AKs are all basicly Identical. AMD is the cheapest right now, however you will need to lenghten the barrel with a break, that alone made me pass. I purchased a AK-74 kit from Kvar that I have yet to start on.. need a rec. first.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
AK 74 kit from K-Var was probably the easiest of all my builds,  when you have quality product to start with, good compliants parts and  a good receiver  a screw together build is easy. My latest was  a Romanian underfolder kit with average quality parts , low end compliance parts and a difficult rear trunion mount for the underfolder made it a little more challenging but still not too hard.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The only other option is to build a milled receiver gun, as your trunions are part of the receiver, and all you will have to do is basically install the barrel, fire control parts, and furniture.  Bear in mind that you can buy a complete milled receiver weapon probably as cheap or even cheaper than building one, as the receiver itself is $350 - $400 or so...the things I ran into are that the barrels on these kits are threaded, and my receiver wasn't, so I had to turn the barrel down and press it into the receiver.  In order to do this I had to remove the front sight block in order to chuck it in the lathe.  This required me making a special jig because of the way the block is installed.  I did have to drill one hole, for the barrel pin once I pressed the barrel in.  Yeah, I didn't have to deal with installing trunions but I ended up having to do a lot of machine work to complete the gun.  I wouldn't do it again; I just happened to get the receiver and parts as a swap for some part time work.  Go with a good quality stamped receiver, one that is already hardened like Global Trades or Ohio Ordnance Works, and I prefer to use rivets instead of screws.  Buy a parts kit that is completely disassembled, with the old rivets removed.  This way whether you use screws or rivets you are ready to go without having to mess with removing the remnants of the old reeiver.  Anyway, good luck, and there is plenty of info here if you take the time to scroll around the various threads.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top