Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:40:17 AM EDT
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it with a search. I want to do a build of a Romak-3 (dragunov-style) but all of the currently available kits appear to not have the barrel in the trunnion. Does anybody know of a good way to do this with garage tools? I've heard that the heat-the trunion, freeze-the-barrel method only works if they were previously together, then separated. This barrel is too long for my freezer anyway. Any suggestions/ideas? If not, does anybody know where I could get the two pressed together?

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen it done with a dead blow hammer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
This might help.  Found it on another site.

pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/construction/construction.htm
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I'm going to give that I-bar clamp method a try. That's kind of the way we used to press things back in my old army mechanic days, only we used a vise. Hope this clamp can hold up, but at least it's inexpensive anyway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Freeze barrel over night and heat trunnion in the oven for 15-20 min @ 250 degress. Parts will slide right in, but you have to work fast as the barrel will start to expand and the trunnion will start to shrink as soon as they meet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Did my PSL the screw way.he Didn't need any heating /freezing etc. THe PSL came out surprisingly well.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top