Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2004 4:13:30 AM EDT
Has anybody tried Perma-Blue to finish their receiver? Did it work decently?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:36:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Nevermind, didn't realize this was in the AK forum.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what he meant by that, but I'd still appreciate any comments on the usefulness of this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Gunkote or alumahide is what you want for an AK finish...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:23:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I had said originally that I would not use blueing on an AR.  Save the perma-blue for touching up Grandpa's lever action rifle. Then I saw that it was the AK forum and blueing is common on an AK.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:30:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine rusted right over. Had to brush it off and leave it in the white. It was an SKS receiver though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I only used PERMA-BLUE one time and had excellent results. I refinished an old Ithaca shotgun top to bottom and it looked just like a $400 rust blue job I had done on a similiar gun. The trick to using Perma Blue is to take it one step at a time, do the prep work...for an AK receiver I would reccomend a 5gal bucket of water close at hand. Lots of polishing grade steel wool.

1. Take the receiver and completely steel wool polish it all over.
2. Get a small sponge and apply perma blue constantly rubbing it in...do not be afraid to get messy with it, soak the metal.
3. Dunk the receiver in water bucket and lightly polish with steel wool.
4. Wipe with a towel and repeat....20-30x.
5. Last time polish then lube it up with gun oil and let it sit completely soaking overnight in oil.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but I spent maybe $25 in supplies and got an incredible finished product for my time. I endorse the stuff, based upon the gun I did have turned quite a few people on to the stuff after seeing my results.

Trust me, I also doubted any of those over the counter products....but this stuff works if you do your part.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been using Brownells Oxpho-Blu on my milsurps with excellent results.  I used it on 2 G1 Fal builds too.

AKs have a type of parked blue/black finish.  Not the typical blue on commercial guns.  I would try gun coat or alumahyde type finish on the AK.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top