Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/26/2004 7:30:23 PM EDT
I previously posted this in the troubleshooting area. Maybe I can get some help here.

I know the hazards with this decision but it has been made. I'm installing an underfolder on a stamped reciever. I do not want the reciever extension avaiable from Noveltyguns as this will not allow it to work over the mag. Am I right about that?

Anyway It doesn't look to work with a mag in. So that leaves the option of drilling? cutting? or drimelling? holes for the rear trunions? What I'm looking for is some exact or at least in the ball park directions and measurements for this install. I understand that a plate will also have to be welded in place at the rear to close of the reciever. Thats easy for me. I do have access to some nice tools and equipment that will help. Any info is gratefull.

I do not have the underfolding rear trunion. The old mak 90 trunion is where the top stock scew goes in (If I'm on track, Right?). I was examining this and correct me if I'm wrong, I was going to leave the old trunion in and remove the tab for the top screw of the stock. I was thinking that I could weld a plate from the bottom of the exsisting trunion to the floor of the reciever to act as the catch for the pin that stops the folder from moving. The plate would need a groove and a cover. Then I could weld a rear cover plate to close off the reciever. That way I could avoid removing the trunion and all that welding, finishing and reblueing. Just weld a plate in there and drill one whole thru both sides. Looks like I've got the room and the folder will clear the mag.

What do ya think? Sounds like it would work.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
That was a pipe dream. I've since gotten a Romanian side folder installed. The underfolder project got bump. Here is a pic of the underfolder. Can anyone tell me if it's a Romanian or what? I kind'a need to know which receiver and trunion to start saving and searching for. Thanks in advance.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/ginmaster/romanian.jpg
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Dunno what the origin of your downfolder stock is, but I'm thinking it isn't Chinese,based on construction.

If you want a downfolder on a non-downfolder reciever Chinese gun it is going to get complicated. The downfolder receivered Chinese guns had a cross shaped impression in the sides of the receiver.Non Chinese guns use a rear trunion that includes a similar piece , which is slid into the back of the AKM receiver and riveted into place.

The Chinese didn't need this , as their receiver is 1.5mm compared to the AKMs 1mm.

In order to make the folder fit you would have to :

1. Remove rear trunion.
2. Obtain AKM rear trunion and adapter, for the folding stock AKM.
3. Drill one hole on either side of receiver.
4. Thin out AKM rear trunion  and adapter piece to allow them to fit in Chinese receiver.
5. Rivet in AKM trunion adapter piece.
6. Install downfolder.

One problem will be that once installed it won't "look" right. When a Chinese downfolder is locked open it is slanted about 15degrees down from the centerline of the rifle. With the AKM parts the stock will be inline with the bore. This is a cosmetic problem only.

OPTION 2

Find someone who has the proper rear half of the Chinese reciever and cut / weld onto your receiver.

OPTION 3

Leave yours alone , keep an eye out for a downfolding Chinese MAK receivered rifle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Tri, I'm looking for the proper receiver for this underfolder. I'm not partial to the Chicom as your name indicates that you are. I like my mak 90 but I am on the search for the right receiver and trunions for this underfolder. I realize that some may think the mak 90 is buthered with a Romanian sidefolder. Unfortunatly this was my first Ak variant. My next will be a bit more true to it's origins.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#4]
why not look at buying a Alantic firearms underfolder?  They look good on their site and the price is right. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top