Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/24/2004 1:11:43 PM EDT
AWB over so I'm putting a polish ak together and need to use a us made gas piston for correct part count w/original pistol grip.  The piston is loose but wont unscrew, must be pinned somwhere.  Any ideas here would be great.  also can locktite be used to secure the new piston?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The gas piston is pinned, look closely and yoy will see it. They are a little tricky to get out, you have to hit the pin very hard with a hammer and a punch. As a last resort you can drill the pin out if you can't beat it out.

Tom

PS.  no loctite on the threads it has to be a little loose. The pin will keep it from backing off
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they are pinned and the pin is peened over on both sides.   If you look closely you will be able to find it.  You have to drill a little at the surface to remove the peened area then you can drive out the pin with a punch.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses, one more question.  I don't have a drill press and I'm guessin that the new piston will have to be drilled for the pin.  How hard is this with a good bit and hand drill.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses, one more question.  I don't have a drill press and I'm guessin that the new piston will have to be drilled for the pin.  How hard is this with a good bit and hand drill.

Spend the money on a drill press now or for a new piston and medical bills later.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top