Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 10:16:12 PM EDT
Just about ready to start my build. I need help with the screws and drill bits though.

Does anyone have an exact list of what I need so I can print it out and go to the hardware and have a clerk get it all for me? I'm not good at finding screws and stuff

Thanks,
Jack

(Its a K-var Ak-74)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#1]
25 views and no response?
Bump
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You will need:
4 #10-32x1/4 grade 8 socket head cap screws for the *front trunnion rear holes
2 M6x5 or 1/4-28x1/4 grade 8 socket head cap screws for the *front trunnion front holes
4 #10-32x3/8 or 1/2 grade 8 socket head cap screws for the rear trunnion
1 #21 drill bit for the #10-32 holes.  Cobalt would probably be best.
1 #10-32 tap
1 #8-32 tap
1 #? tap for the front trunnion holes*
5 #8-32 grade 8 socket head cap screws for the trigger guard
1 #29 drill bit for the #8-32 holes
1 #8-32 nut with lock washer for rear trigger guard
1/8"  steel plate to screw the triggerguard to.  This will need to be the size of the 4 holes near the clip release and fit inside the receiver.

The 8-32 screws will need their head sizes reduced to fit up against the mag release.  Chuck the screws in a drill and use a file to bring them into size.

*I have seen information that the holes on the front trunnion closest to the barrel are larger than the others towards the chamber.  Some have used 1/4-28x1/4 and some have used a M6 metric size.  You will need to measure the holes and choose the closest screw size to the hole.  M6 screw needs a 5.2mm (.2047") drill.  TO BE SAFE MEASURE THE HOLE DIAMETERS!  I assume yours is a Bulgarian kit.  This should get you started.
Go here for a drill chart for reference.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
blfuller is correct when he suggests measuring the hole diameters first. My Bulgie 74 kit's forward trunnion had two different diameter holes. I ended up going with 6mm and 5mm screws. Check my BIY thread tacked above it contains some screw info. Good luck on your build!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top