Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/11/2004 10:58:51 PM EDT
I am thinking of doing a krinkov build from k-var. I however need some advice before I buy it.

1. What do I need to press a barrel in?
2. since a krinkov is a unique gun, can I use standard Ak receiver, rails, and center support for it?
3.And I cannot find that much info on puting a rivet in on a gun, what would I require for this?(I know a guy with ever machine on the book.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Some have pressed a barrel with a hammer, a threaded rod thru the barrel, and IIRC a bumper jack.

Most folks use a 12-20 ton hydrolic press. You will need something to back up the trunnion in a stamped gun, and I used a brace made from a bolt carrier and scrap steel even on a milled gun. You will need a plate to support the barrel also. To me it is a real PITA. Others don't think its a big deal.

A Krink uses a  standard AK receiver.

The best down home method I have seen for a riveter is the type uys have made out of a Bolt cutter, you will see it further down the page. I plan on giving it a try some day. I have used a Big hammer and modified punch, a press, and a modifed air chisel, my rivet jobs looked like shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anybody know of anyone that sells Krink kits with the barrels still attached to the trunion?  So you could simply drill out the old rivets and tap for screws.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I was hoping for a AKS-74NU or a AKS-47S from K-var. But on the latter I hear that underfolding stocks are really hard to build. The only reason I would want a rivet build would be for a more 'original' look. If I dont have the tools I will just do a screw build.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I still need all the info before I buy the parts kit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't ghetto out on your krink.  Do it right, you won't regret it, and it will be worth more than the parts kit when you're done.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you mean that screws are ghetto?  I have done two screw builds and they look great.

I would also like to build a krinkov.  Can you make a legal krink pistol now that the ban is over?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you mean that screws are ghetto?  I have done two screw builds and they look great.

I would also like to build a krinkov.  Can you make a legal krink pistol now that the ban is over?

YES!!!  The ban put a weight restriction on the pistol builds, and now that the ban is gone, so is the weight restriction on pistols...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I JUUUUUST got done riveting my 545 krink on an oow receiver using bolt cutters. the barrel trunnion was a piece of if cake. the rear side folding trunnion was one of THE biggest PITA's ive EVER experianced trying to make happen. i ground those things for days took them apart and put em back together probably 100 times no joke. to make a long story short, DONT DONT DONT use the cutter method on the rears. o by the way, it was the bott rear rivets that gave me hell on the rear trunnion. the forward middle one and the top one were semi easy. but those bottom rivets are a complete nightmare. not sure what to suggest on the bottom rear rivets but damn just know its hard as hell.
Jeremy
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok well I am seriously considering a rivet build. I do however need to know where I can find a full length guide on how to do the rivets.

I have a pretty good guide on making a receiver, but If you guys know a really detailed guide for a complete newb that would be great if you could post it for me.

Also will a TapCo center support work for a kink?

And what do you guys mean by making it as a pistol?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh ya, and can  Ijust use a rivet gun to rivet it on in? or do I need a rivet press?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top