Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/8/2004 7:18:52 AM EDT
Having never built an AK before, how diffucult would this be? I've built several ARs and I can do "Armorer" ( Wood, FCG, and that %&^&*$ Sheppards crook) level mantinance on my AK.

I'd like to use one of the OOW recievers and this kitwww.k-var.com/product.asp?0=211&1=214&3=109

Other than a Press, a Rivet set, & my trusty Dremmel tool, what else will I need?

How diffucult of a build is it, concidering that I'm pretty mechanicly inclined, but by no means a machinist?

echo6
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Come on guys, 40 views and noone has any kind of comment?

"Thats a good kit"

"dont use that reciever"

Anything?
I guess I've gotten uste to the instant gratifacation over on the AR side of the house.

echo6
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#2]
That sounds neat.  Don't you need to pay a tax and pass scrutiny by 'the man' before you build a  sbr?  You probably know all that stuff already.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Build w/o stock and bend your own receiver, then you can call it a handgun after 9/14 and keep the short barrel with no tax.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, echo since you want some input.
I would choose the OOW over anything out there today, I have built four using the OOW's two 7.62 and two 5.45.  The only problem with the 7.62 is that the selector lever hole is a bit low creating a gap that is visible when the safety is in "safe" (with the dust cover)
I talked to a guy at OOW and he said it was done intentionally because some selector levers would need to be lengthened if it were higher, thus much easier to remove material than add to it.
I recently built a bent blank and did have to add to the lever, so I am accepting that as fact.

Personally I wouldn't choose a 7.62 in a krink (short barrel), too much flame and recovery shots would be more difficult.

I plan on using another 5.45 OOW and making a pistol from a krink kit, after the ban the weight restriction is gone and that would be ultra cool. As I previously metioned talking to the guy at OOW (IIRC Bob) we spoke about the definition of pistol receiver and rifle receiver, he concluded that the 4473 determines the end use not the manufacturer. Which was my personal belief. So, if you want it to fold, apply for a SBR and go thru all the BATF stuff, have at it. I will get an end cap, sold by K-Var and not put a buttstock on it and have a pistol.

A press is absolute, I use a 12ton cheapy, (I wish it didn't wobble so much, maybe needs to be welded), but it smashes everything I have put in it.
A dremel is aslo absolute, gotta have, watch your eyes.
Without the two rivet jigs, one for the trunions and one for the trigger gard, I couldn't have done such a professional looking job. Others may have a differing opinion about completing the rivets. Screws would never cut it in my book.

But once you start it hard to stop.

I am always on the hunt for another different kit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Kevin thanks for the reply. Where do I buy rivet jigs?
Does the 5.45 really recoil that much less then the 7.62? The reason I was planning on doing the Krink in 7.62 is that I already have a plethora of ammo, mags & spare parts for the 7.62 AK.
I guess I'm going to have to think about stocking yet another caliber.
echo6
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
go with 545 and yes the recoil is much lighter. i just got done riveting my oow receiver with a 545 krink kit tonight. first ak ive evern attempted. i used mod'd 24" bolt cutters to smash the rivets. worked like a charm on the barrel trunnion but on the rear rivets the bottom rear two were amazingly difficult to smash due mostly to ALLLLLL THE DAMMMMMN grinding and SHIT i had to do to reach the buggers!! but i FINALLY got it done. took me about 20 hours total with a pair of highly mod'd cutters, a drill press, vise and other small tools. CANT WAIT TO TEST FIRE!!
Jeremy
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top