Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 11:19:53 AM EDT
Hi I am new to the ak building world but figured I would give it a try. What I picked up was a amd parts kit with the correct amount of U.S. parts and a receiver flat all for $105 got it in friday and it was in great condition. I went ahead and drilled out the rivits in the front and rear and then tapped them. The only part Im worried about now is what to do with the receiver flat. Does anyone know of an easy method of making the correct bends. I was thinking about using a vise and some 1/4" stock as a straight edge with a hole cut out for the mag well dimple does this sound reasonable or am I missing something. Also I have been told that the bolt rails can be screwed on instead of welded anyone ever heard of this or tried it. last of all what needs to be heat treated on the receiver or does it all and would this have to be done with a oxy acetalyne torch or could I get by with a cheapo propane torch. I know alot of this is probably common since to most of you but I am still learning. Also if you notice anything else that I might be missing let me know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Also a good template would help if anyone knows of a good link let me know
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
You can download a template here.

www.acearms.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi

There is also info on screwing lower rails in the tutorial
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Where in KS are you located?  I have been building jigs for bending the flats and if you are close to the Kansas City area you could come over to bend a flat in one of the jigs.

Here are some pictures of the jig being used.  In the last picture I just have the rails sitting in the receiver so don't pay attention to how they are not even.  I just wanted to see how well the center support fit between them.

http://www.jtagconnection.com/gunstuff/flat_j5.jpg

http://www.jtagconnection.com/gunstuff/flat_j7.jpg

http://www.jtagconnection.com/gunstuff/flat_j11.jpg

http://www.jtagconnection.com/gunstuff/flat_j14.jpg

http://www.jtagconnection.com/gunstuff/flat_j17.jpg
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Stickerman I will have to keep that in mind Im in Manhattan so only about 2 hours but I did pick up a few extras so Im gonna try one on my own. I will let everyone know how it turns out unless of course it comes out looking like it got ran over by a train in which I will probably hide out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where in KS are you located?  I have been building jigs for bending the flats and if you are close to the Kansas City area you could come over to bend a flat in one of the jigs.

Here are some pictures of the jig being used.  In the last picture I just have the rails sitting in the receiver so don't pay attention to how they are not even.  I just wanted to see how well the center support fit between them.

www.jtagconnection.com/gunstuff/flat_j5.jpg

www.jtagconnection.com/gunstuff/flat_j7.jpg

www.jtagconnection.com/gunstuff/flat_j11.jpg

www.jtagconnection.com/gunstuff/flat_j14.jpg

www.jtagconnection.com/gunstuff/flat_j17.jpg

Where can I find more info on your jig... (ie link?)  I have three AK kits and three 100% OOW AK receivers for my first builds but after I get these done a bend your own project might just be fun....  Do you rent these or strictly sell them?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quarterbore

Right now I'm just selling them, but I could do a trade or we could work something out.  I've been selling them for $125 plus shipping which is about $13 or so.  I've got a website in the works right now, but I don't think I can put a link in here for it.   I have spent a couple of weeks working on the process of building the jig so I can make them up fairly quick.  

thedukeryan

If your bending project doesn't turn out like you want let me know.  The nice thing is that if you're going to do rivets I'll have all of the tools to do them too.  Trigger guard rivet jig, Plinker's jig plus I'll make up something for removing and installing the barrels.  I just have a few things to do to the Plinker jig before it is finished.  Something tells me that they will be done for the 14th so my AMD's can be assembled.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top