Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 8:07:17 AM EDT
How do you install the new pin when you change out the mag catch spring?  Anyone done that one yet?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Magcatch
Spring
Rivet-pivot pin
Rivet expanding tool - a beveled punch works nicely
Short pin of proper diameter and length to fit in mag catch with spring in position behind mag catch
Long punch same diameter as rivet-pivet pin
1- buddy to help

OK

Take catch , spring , and short pin insert spring in back of mag catch (make sure it is in the right way-having another AK to compare to is handy) , place short pin in catch hole retaining spring.

Have buddy firmly hold UNLOADED rifle and long punch.

Insert mag catch into mag catch housing on trigger guard.

When the holes line up (PUSH -it takes some effort), have buddy  insert long punch from selector side to other side , displacing short pin and holding the catch ,spring , and housing in alignment.

Take rivet/pivot pin , insert from non selector side ,to selector side RIVET / PIVOT PIN IS NOW INSTALLED.

Back up non-selector (flat) side of rivet/pivot pin on flat hard surface.

With properly beveled punch , smack the flared end of the rivet/pivot pin flaring the end of it , securing the pin.

Finish off with a few blows with a flat punch to fully set the flare of the pin even with the side of the mag catch / trigger housing.

Celebrate that this otherwise PITA (took me 4hrs to figure out easy the way the 1st time I did it) took all of 5 minutes.

Technique is everything !

HTH
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Just did my first one yesterday on a Dragunov.  Took 45 minutes to get it done.  Pretty much did it the same way that Triangle-66 did his.  It will be much easier the next time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
What a pain in the ass!  It must have taken me 4 hours fighting the damn thing!  I'm building a dummy, so the tirgger guard hadn't been attached to the reciever yet.  

I was doing fine until I was mushrooming the pin and realized i had the mag release on upside down!

Next time I'll just put out a little extra cash and buy a trigger guard assembly with the mag catch already in place!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I do appreciate the help though!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top