BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 7:20:59 PM EDT
I having been wondering if anyone else thought of this :

Post AWB you want a bayonet lug.

You don't want to remove , drill , line up , buy , pay to have someone install it , etc.

How about spot welding two pieces to the remaining piece of lug and trimming it to look proper , including filing the weld marks smooth.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a winner to me. I even have toyed with the idea of puting a russian blade bayonet I got laying around off a SKS I used to own.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I was thinking that if it was spot welded it would be easy to attach and for the purists , any gaps around the seams could be filled with silver solder so that once painted it would appear factory.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a lug machined just like the orginal that you could silver solder on where the orginal lug was? If so I already have some machined up. Not much metal there so welding is probabaly out unless you are a super talanted welder.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
On my Maadi all they did was remove the small side "rails" that hold the bayo. I was thinking of just laying down 2 small beads of weld then finishing it with a file. Of course mine was so poorly "de-bayonet lugged" that I could always snap one on. It would just have too much play for my taste.
Cheers.
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
chuck1 that sounds interesting , you already have some made up ? I would be interested in a picture. (or maybe a sample )

19-kilo , I agree that in some cases just running a bead of weld and some judicious filing should do the trick, but as I only have a wire welder (and have seen the quality of my welds-nowhere near precise) I am in agreement with chuck1 that burn through , etc would be a problem for me.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I have some made up already. Made them up for a guy who ended up flaking out and didn't pay me for them. In the pic the hole for the cleaning rod isn't drilled as they wern't finished but they are complete now.
I can take some more pics when I get home tomorrow moring if you want.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top