Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/30/2004 10:31:05 PM EDT
I have an AK receiver flat from FAC that I am working on bending.  What needs to be hardened on the finished product?  Can someone walk me through it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Trigger axis hole, hammer hole, and ejector rail.  Heat with MAPP torch (hardware store) until cherry red and magnet doesn't stick, then quench in oil or water.  Steel wool metal to get rid of discoloration and heat again to blue and let air cool.  Do each hole separately, it's pretty easy to do.  Some people recommend Kasenit, I don't think it's necessary because there's enough carbon already there.  Plus, it's only sticking to the outside of the metal, metallurgists probably laugh when they hear the word Kasenite and hardening in the same sentence.  Who knows, google group search for it, you'll find plenty.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You said a hardware torch would work are those the cheap little propane ones that sell for $15 or something else?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You said a hardware torch would work are those the cheap little propane ones that sell for $15 or something else?

Nope, a MAPP torch, $39.99 at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't heard of Kasenite since High school metal shop class
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top