Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/29/2004 3:09:02 PM EDT
Well I was digging around here and I noticed several people mentioned they used 1200 degree engine paint to finish there AK. Is this recommended? I figured I would have to send my gun off to have it Parked at some absence price. What will a "painted" Ak look like when it’s done? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jack
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Use Brownell's Alumanhyde, available on their web site for about 7 bucks a can, plus shipping of around 8 bucks (so order more than one can! LOL)  They have it in Semi-Gloss Black and Matte Black...(they also have it in other colors too, OD green, Parkerized Grey, Sand, etc)  Both semi and matte black looks REAL good; even better than some original finishes I have seen.  The Matte Black almost looks like a VERY dark grey parkerizing finish... It is impervious to most all solvents and bore cleaners.  It will scratch, but hey! so will blueing...and is as hard as any paint I have ever seen if used according to instructions and allow to cure for at least 3-4 days after painting and before putting everything back together. (note:  be sure to pay attention to temperature stated on the can, 70-90 degree application temperature...)  It also mentions that to shorten the cure time to let it sit or hang in the hot daytime sun for one day after application.  I tried that on my last one and it was cured in two days...one day in my shop and one day on the deck in the sun.
Best wishes,
see ya,
T2
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
BBQ grill paint works great.   Spray it on. Let it dry a few hours and then bake it on your grill for about 30minutes.   Nice flat finish and wears like iron.   Cheap too!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If your not going to gun-kote it, I have to agree with Aluma-HydeII in matte black.  I have used this formula for years on mags, stocks and most anything gun related and it is excellent.  Once cured it is very durable and I usually hang my items in my attic for a week.  A Georgia attic in the summer time is equal to an oven set on low.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for the dumb question, but I have heard of Gun-kote, but what is it exactly?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#5]
This is what matte black Allumahyde ll looks like.

http://img70.exs.cx/img70/4662/DCP_0345.jpg
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice! Did you use a brush or is it spray?

Thanks,
Jack
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#7]
wow that looks awesome sports nut same question air brush or can?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks! I shot it right from the can.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is the same receiver. I have put around 500 hundred rounds through it so far. This stuff holds uo real well. I have used Allumahyde before on a couple of FAL builds in the past with great results. I let it cure for a minimum of seven days before i mess with it. I have tried to hurry it in the past, but have found that it isn't totally cured until seven full days have past.

justinwb where are you located in Oregon? Eugene here.

http://img12.exs.cx/img12/1661/DCP_0359.jpg
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Here it is with a lower wood handguard, and a Tapco barrel extention pinned on.

http://img12.exs.cx/img12/9636/DCP_0556.jpg
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice.
Thanks for the help,
Jack
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top