Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 1:17:16 AM EDT
Ok, I was considering building a nice AK-74 seeing some nice kits are available for about 150 and receivers for 70. However I keep thinking there is more to building an AK then I realize.

To start I only have the available tools, dermal, electric hand drill, 3 screw drivers, 2 types of pliers, two ratchet sets (inch + metric) and a two hammers. I have no clue about welding and I have no axis to welding, CNC or a drill press.

What is this I hear about barrel pressing? Do I need a new barrel? I guess my understanding is I simply drill holes in my new receiver, the cut some screws just right, then I screw in the parts from the kit and swap out certain parts with my US parts. Total build time a few hours. Is this overly optimistic? Am I missing something very important?

Thanks,
Jack
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Tagged.

huh?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're going with something like a K-Var Bulgy -74 kit and a pre-made rails installed receiver, then you're set to go.  People talk about barrel removal and pressing when doing a rivet build, which requires the barrel be removed to get the front rivets in the trunnion.  When doing a screw build, you just drill and tap until you hit the barrel and put your screws in that.  For your build, you should just need a dremel, drill, bits, a 8/32 and 10/32 tap, and screws.  You're basically attaching the front and rear trunnions and putting the rest of the trigger/hammer and mag parts in.  The stickied screw build post at the top of this forum is all you need to know.  Technically, you should also check the headspacing before you fire, but if the kit is all matching, headspacing should be fine.  Fire it from a string when you put it together, or rent the gauges to do it right.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
So this rifle will work?

with this Ohio Rapid Fire AK-74 reciever

Thanks for the help,

Jack
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, will work perfectly.  I got the same kit from K-Var, it's in perfect condition.  Check out the step by step screw build, he did the exact thing you're getting ready to do (even used the same companies).  Some minor fitting may be required, still no big deal.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
You still have to buy the correct number of US made parts to be legal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I know, I mentioned that in my first post; "and swap out certain parts with my US parts.”

Now will the parts I need are as fallows.

Pistol Grip
Trigger
Trigger sear
Piston
Rear Butt-stock

Ak only has 15 parts correct? This would make 5 US (the ones above) and 10 imported, thus legal, right?

Thanks,
Jack
(waits to get yelled at)
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You still have to buy the correct number of US made parts to be legal.

Yup, he had put that in the original post.

Now will the parts I need are as fallows.

Pistol Grip
Trigger
Trigger sear
Piston
Rear Butt-stock

Ak only has 15 parts correct? This would make 5 US (the ones above) and 10 imported, thus legal, right?

The -74 with the muzzle brake has 16 parts.  The receiver will be US made, and that counts as one.  Change out the FCG for a G2 for 3 more US parts.  If you're building a couple, change out the followers and floorplates on all your mags and you'll have the 10 or less imported parts.  If not, a US rear pistol grip and gas piston will keep it legal.  Choice is yours, just keep in mind the -74 has 16 parts due to the muzzle brake and you must have 6 US mades.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
All right, now are these parts Universal AK parts, so I can just buy the stuff off of Tapco? Or are there specific AK-74 parts?

Thanks,
Jack
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm pretty sure the only -74 specific compliance parts will be the magazine floorplate and follower.  Everything else is universal (different bolt, ejector sticks out further, and magazine).  I'm not 100%, anyone else?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#11]
where are you seeing '74 kits for 150?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top