Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 9:05:39 AM EDT
Ok, I've got this thing almost done, but I'm hearing that we need to use 1100 degree solder to permanently attach the barrel extension onto this thing.
Of course, HD and Lowes dont carry that around me, so I'm asking: What did you guys use and where'd you get it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Try a welding supply shop in your area and ask for silver solder that melts in that heat range.  Look in the yellow pages under WELDING.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Check for silver soldering paste. It is the easiest to use. It is solder mixed in a paste type flux. Runs anywhere from 18 to 25 bucks usually for a small jar. Pricey but it will do lots of barrels and all you do is spread it on the threads........ heat to temp and youre done.

Brownells sells it but they are the highest priced on it.  Oh, make sure there is no finishes, oil or junk like that on both pieces or it wont stick. Has to be bare, clean metal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If I rememebr right, can't you pin the extention on too using a blind pin job?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Or a small drop of weld, IIRC. That works, and is easy to undo if you decide to register it as an SBR
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I already locktited mine on, like a dumb bell. So I am thinkin I will have to run solder around the split between the parts. What tool / solder is the absolute cheapest way on this?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Just shoot it, bump a few mags through and the loctite will come right off (okay, you can then twist it off with some effort. The loctite will burn up, then you gotta steel-brush it off, then polish up the metal and solder).
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Or a small drop of weld, IIRC. That works, and is easy to undo if you decide to register it as an SBR

Small drop of weld will not do it.
It must be welded 1/2 the circumference of the barrel, or 4 equidistant welds.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top