Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/23/2004 7:03:27 AM EDT
What is the easiest way to remove the sight-tower/block (after pin removal), and the trreaded barrel on a milled AK-47 receiver? Heat and penatrating-oil? Best set up to press off or pull off sight-tower/block?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Well to remove the threaded barrel from the receiver - you will need to fab up a barrel wrench. You have two choices - mount the barrel in a "wrench" and clamp the receiver in a robust vice - or clamp the barrel wrench in a vice and use a big pipe wrench or similar tool on the receiver. Penetrating oil and a little heat will help also. For the other problem a press is the easiest, a brass drift might work also. I have cobbled up a few threaded guns, so send me an e-mail with more specifics about you project and I might be able to give you better advice, or heck just post the details here if you want.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:29:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you describe a brass drift or show a pic? I was actually going to post a similar question of what would be a good tool for removing gas blacks or front sight blocks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Taipan - A brass drift is just a big old piece of brass rod, I used one of about 1 " diameter on a Polish milled build - there was not much interferecnce in the fit. I measured it but I can't remember what it was.

I have a press, but the drift worked great on it. I have had to use the press on other FSBs and GBs. If you can get the parts off, getting them back on is made easier by the fact that you can polish the mating surfaces, lube them, and even chill the barrel and heat up the FSB or GB. The idea of using brass is that it does not mar the parts.

The hard part is getting the damn pins out, I have had to drill out a few. Its a PITA.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:43:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I was more thinking of using the 12 or 20 ton press I'll be shopping for (maybe Fri). How do one use the press to get the parts off the barrel? I had thoughts of replacing my Saiga's FSB so I could thread the true barrel. Also toying with the idea of cutting down my SAR's barrel, recrowning, threading and permanently attatching a muzzlebrake to get the legal length (16.5" to be safe).
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top