Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/22/2004 8:01:22 PM EDT
OK, so I have finally gotten everything dialed in and installed the fire control group.  I notice that if I hold the trigger back and then charge the weapon I have to PUSH THE TRIGGER FORWARD so that it will properly disengage the hammer and then fire.  I have checked my other AK's and the FCG seems to be in properly, it happens 50% of the time, HELP, what do you guys recomend?  I did a test fire of 10 rounds and it worked great untill the last 2 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#1]
come on guys this is happening to mine too how about some help dm59
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Do not hold the trigger back when charging the weapon! Simply insert a fresh magazine, finger off the trigger, charge the weapon. My BIY Bulgie 74 will do the exact same thing you mention if charged in this manor.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
This happened to me also, and I searched high and low for the answer.

From what I could tell, after experimenting with the failure, it seems the disconnector is grabbing the hammer, and the trigger is not. That is why you 'push' the trigger forward and you hear a 'click'.  That's the trigger grabbing the hammer.

The only post I found on this that sounded plausable was that you need to carefully sand the hammer and disconnector surfaces (the parts that will touch) so that it operates more smoothly.  I haven't gotten a chance to test this, but it should be worth a try.

Don't go crazy with a dremel here, just sand/polish those surfaces.

HTH.

ETA: Oh, and I wasn't holding the trigger when charging the weapon. It would happen after 10 shots or so, then it would happen after every few shots, then every shot.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This happened to me also, and I searched high and low for the answer.

From what I could tell, after experimenting with the failure, it seems the disconnector is grabbing the hammer, and the trigger is not. That is why you 'push' the trigger forward and you hear a 'click'.  That's the trigger grabbing the hammer.

The only post I found on this that sounded plausable was that you need to carefully sand the hammer and disconnector surfaces (the parts that will touch) so that it operates more smoothly.  I haven't gotten a chance to test this, but it should be worth a try.

Don't go crazy with a dremel here, just sand/polish those surfaces.

HTH.

ETA: Oh, and I wasn't holding the trigger when charging the weapon. It would happen after 10 shots or so, then it would happen after every few shots, then every shot.

Yep, sounds like you had a FCG problem, but I noticed that 18BSOTTM stated " I notice that if I hold the trigger back and then charge the weapon I have to PUSH THE TRIGGER FORWARD............"

What he described is normal if you charge the weapon in this fashion, my SAR1 did it and so does my AK74.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I've never heard of (or thought of) holding the trigger back while charging it.
But my problem sounded similar, so I thought I'd answer that signal flare.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I can think of NO weapon system that advises you to hold the trigger back while charging it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
never heard of that one either!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I alwase check the FCG after a assembly of any weapon by pulling back on the trigger and charging the weapon, this is standard for all AR 15/M 16 series rifles.  That is the proper way that you do a function check.  I solved the problem though, just had to do a bot of Dremmel work, good to go now.  Mark.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can think of NO weapon system that advises you to hold the trigger back while charging it.

My AMD 65 will do that. I first noticed it after assembling it and doing a functions check with it. The ONLY way that I know of to do a functions check is it first charge weapon, then pull trigger. Keep trigger to the rear and charge weapon again. Sear should grab hammer until you release trigger, then the trigger hook takes up the hammer. If you don't do that dry, you will not know if your sear will engage the hammer when you go live. If sear don't engage you could have slam fires.
I guess this is the way the way that my DI taught me to check my 16 back in the day, has worked for me on my M16's, FAL's, AK's and G3's.
Cheers.
KILO OUT
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top