Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/11/2004 2:59:05 PM EDT
What is the hardest part of the entire build??? And what tool's would ya need to make it easier??? I'm thinking of getting a flat and start from there with a K-var part set..I know part count and basic's I've been around for awhile..But just need some basic knowledge on shit I've probably have'nt thought of yet..I thank ya.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Hardest part is getting the holes in the receiver right, and drilling the trunion. The rest is just a matter of fitting/filing and finishing. this, of course, is if you use a pre-built receiver (like an OOW).

I've no experience with flat AK builds, but  from whatever sheetmetal experience I've got, I can tell you that getting this thing bent and in-spec will be a pain in the ass unless you have all the right tooling (An AK bending press kit would be the most preferable option, a good bending brake would be the next).

Edit: K-var kits will work just fine, it's the receiver which is more importaint to get done right. On a related note, get six different receivers,  and they will have six different sets of dimentions. Pick wisely, or make your own. Another related note, OOW receivers needs extra work to fit Bulgarian kits well (mostly the FCG holes, and top/bolt carrier rails), No experience with the others.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I think I'm gonna say to hell with the flat idea and go with a OOW or some kind of reciever..
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
OOW are good for a first build.
Here's my first build. I gun-koted all metal externals besides the top cover and selector last week (as well as grinding down all the screws besides the trigger guard screws)

BTW, one PITA for you may be a nut-plate. I made one at the machineshop in school this week and put it on, as the #8-32s wouldn't hold very well in sheetmetal, but it's definitely worth it, having 1/8" of  milled 410C steel for the screws to bite into [A good smack to the back of the mag will pull the screws right out ofsheetmetal (When shooting it, I tried using the mag as a monopod. I spend the next 3 minutes screwing the trigger guard back into the sheetmetal). Whereas you'll break the magazine and mag release before anything gets pulled out with the nutplate].
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Well look's like I'll get started on my build next week I'll keep ya informed.....
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]
andreuha,
very nice AK man,  i like the furniture.   i gotta get off my ass and build one of these,  ive built 3 and a half FAL's (im in the middle of my 4th)  and one AR,  its time to move on to bigger and better things,  and your AK is just the inspiration i need.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top