Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 2:57:23 PM EDT
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO ON THE TOOLS REQUIRED TO FLATTEN THE RIVETS ON AK TRUNIONS, ALSO WHERE TO FIND THESE TOOLS.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact [email protected] for this...

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:14:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My plinker jig just arrived yesterday.  Frank is an artist!  I can't believe he is making these in his garage.  It arrived just as in the picture above.

Campy, have you seen/touched/tasted/heard about etc. this jig?  What is your opinion (if any)?  One of the guys in our build group spoke to one of the Bulgarian engineers from Arsenal at the SAR show and he said that plinker's jig looks very similar to the equipment they used in the "Old Country".  

Just curious if you have any thoughts.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

i went really high-tech and bought an air chisel. i chopped off the chisel heads and ballmilled domes into them...

CAMPYBOB -

Aren't those chisel bits hardened??? How'd you get the dome machined in without unhardening & re-hardening again???

And BTW - where does one find metric rivets???
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looks interesting...

How does it work? Is this a hammer-whack-it-till-it-looks-good kind of jig???

I was wondering how you get the jig to work on the rivets that are semi-hidden...
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Plinkers tool works with a press. Should work wit a 12 or 20 ton type.

SB
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]
postino

With the different adaptors, this jig will work for all the rivets except the trigger gaurd..
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i've done my riveting using a hammer and rivet setting tool (punch) with pieces of scrap steel used as bucking bars. rivet setting tools are available from msc supply.

i went really high-tech and bought an air chisel.

Ah ha! Now I get it! (I was wondering how you got the air chisel bit inside the receiver)...

You put the rivet in the receiver facing out, right? Then use your scrap steel bars to "hold" the rivet in place (probably with some kind of clamp) while you lean on the air chisel from the outside???

I think I could do that with a hammer and anvil setup...I'm pretty good at mashing my fingers with a 16 oz hammer...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top