Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2003 12:29:42 PM EDT
www.gunpartsusa.com/receivers.htm

Reviews anyone?

Thanks
Rick
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that most of the "roll your own" crowd would rather spend the same money for one of the OOW green recievers, than go through the trouble of welding one up. I am sure that there are a few folks on this side of the board who have gone through the effort, but I am at a lost for pointing you to "who".
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are interested in this I'd try Ace Arms, they have a better price.

www.acearms.com/products/index.shtml

Some have done weld packs, most have done the bent metals. Go to the resources page and then click on the tutorial to see the bent blank build up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:15:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help so far. As far as the machine work I have 17 years of Tool & Die / Machinist work under my belt so making one is cake. I was thinking about the weld pack since I like the .125 thick plates. I could clamp a block in the center then tig weld the seam for a perfect fit.

Rick
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:44:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I worked in several fields of T&D industry.
Automotive, hvac mfg plant, cnc program/run machinist for 2.5 years, Tool & Die shop 7 years.
Hey...I have seen some of those impossible drawings from fresh out of college engineers. I just give it back to them and say "you make the first one".
I'm not in that field now I own a company doing residential/light commercial HVAC. I have a complete machine shop and a complete sheet metal fab shop. I stay covered up at times that why i want a partically complete receiver. I don't have time to tinker all day with a project.

Rick
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Try www.stenparts.com they have a better price still.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with campy about just buying a completed one. I wanted the challenge of build it all yourself and its been time consuming. I have about 3-4 yrs of tool and die work. I just bought a .040 sheet of 4130. Then  made a jig to bend it. My radius aren't as sharp as they should be but its not too bad. I'm pretty much all done except for spot welding in the rails. I dont know if I'll make another one but its been worth it since I'm a mechanical engineering major and am thinking of trying to design firearms as a career. Campy, know anywhere companies that design firearms? (preferably the ones who hold 30rds or more :)
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
So far I have compleated one AK with a reciver I made from 316L stainless. It only took 3 tries before I got one that would work.
What finaly worked was a 2 piece reciver with the weld down the center of the bottom. This makes it possable to get the sharp bends in the corners using a die and press after bending them in a brake. To get the top rails at the exact same hight all that you need to do is mark the inside of the reciver using gage blocks as a guide. Line up your marks and weld together.

One other note on cutting the front of your reciver. weather its a homemade or bent-metal the inside dimension at the front should be 1.200'. Using the gage blocks again is the best way to get this dimension.
HTH
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
AW4EVER,

I saw your pics over on Roderus Custom Forums, (or atleast I assume it is you since that guy welded his down the middle also.) I am the one who sent you the PM about the red dot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea thats my build. Going to do 2 more. An AMD63 and maybe a 74 0r Romak 3.
Romack991 PM sent
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]

other than 'the challenge', little is to be gained from avoiding the $29 hesse or $49 itm/oow receivers.

Campy, where are you finding Hesse's for $29?  I would like to snag a couple at that price.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Me too
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:43:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Hesse receivers were $29 about two years ago.  "vulcan" receivers are same/same and about $39, I think.  Beyond the challenge, unless your time is worth $.20 an hour, a finished receiver is the way to go.  That said, the fun of making one from scratch can't be beat.
 I tried to build one fron three plates and found that I couldn't control the warpage from the welding.  My welding skills are not great.  I do have a tig rig but just couldn't control the warping.  Went to sheet 4120 bent blank.  That worked much better.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top