Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/12/2003 3:54:00 AM EDT
I don't have any experience with the AK or any of it's varients... So, I came here to ask if anyone knows how I could modify a standard model Ruger 10/22 to look more like a Galil (inexpensively of course, if posible)?... And to what extent?  I've heard of someone who replaced the original charging handle with a Galil one... but that's about it.
I suppose not much could be done, but, it couldn't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I did some searching and came up with parts sets that were in the multiple-hundred $ range. Since I'm trying to spend as little as posible, it looks like I'm going to have to go from almost scratch...

Making a look-alike buttstock, along with mounting block that also has enough room to allow a pistol grip to be attached. Remove original stock, and use (blue) loctite to keep assembly pins in place. Weld together a look-alike charging handle, grind in to proper shape, and smooth out, and weld on. The sights I could use are the HK styled ones over at Cabelas.com, but instead of placing the front sight where it belongs on a 10/22, I'd move it rearward and mount it on a false gas tube thats clamped to the barrel, that's mounted to a false upper reciever that's mounted to the original reciever by way of the factory scope base holes.  And since I'm fairly good at carpentry, I could easily make a front handguard. All that coupled with a flash hider and 30rd mag on my pre' (I know the laws) ruger, shouldn't look too bad, especialy for a plinker.
I know, some of the way I have explained this isn't too technical, and doesn't seem as if it will turn out very profesional looking, but I do have friends that are proficient in areas I am not.  So it should turn out to be quite an acceptable looking piece.

Once I am done with it all, I'll post a picture here to show off ;)
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top