Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/12/2003 10:02:33 PM EDT
Well, I was halfway through building my barrel vice and I was playing around with my parts. I stuck the trunnion on the end of my barrel and gave it a whack and it slid all the way on.    There doesn't seem to be any play side to side. Is this ok, or does the fit need to be tighter? I'm thinking of tapping the trunnion hole and running a big ol' set screw in from each side with a little red loctite and having them meet in the middle. Is this a good idea, or am I better off with the pin?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The parts came from a matched PMKMS kit that appears to be new. With regards to the set screws, I should have explained that better. I'm thinking of tapping the hole and the barrel where the cross pin usually goes. The set screws would be in the same place as the cross pin.

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
--stick with the dowel provided by the factory.

Ok, will do. I just wanted to make sure. :)
On the press fit issue, will I be ok if I take a center punch and peen a couple hundred dimples around the barrel where it goes into the trunnion, or am I SOL and just need to send it back?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Bush,
Campy's right - it all has to do with surface/contact area and how the loading is dispersed over it.  With a set screw or any other threaded piece, all of the loading will riding on the raised threads that actually make contact between the trunnion and barrel ~~~ don't do it, too much at stake (like your face, life, etc.)

Use a pin, nice and tight!

Jim
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
ak newbie here.

please help me find informatin on how to install a barrel on mak90.  i got the complete gun and an extra part kit.  i am trying to put the part kit on, so that i can save the og parts for future trophy display on this wonderful gun.

thanks and thanks and thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, got the pin part. How about dimpling the barrel where it slides into the trunnion?

EDIT: Problem solved. I contacted Global and they're swapping out the trunnion for a new one.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top