Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2003 5:39:13 PM EDT
I saw a mention on the InterOrdinance website that the barrels included with their imported kits cannot be used, even if the rifle complies with sec. 922r?

What gives? Am I reading something wrong here, or does that mean that an imported parts kit is useless unless you intend to build an illegal rifle?

I have seen similar wierd statements about imported receivers...for instance, that Imbel FAL receivers imported can't be used to build a rifle? Only for "repair"?

Can someone explain how all of this would affect a home builder, or someone like myself that would obtain all of the parts, and send them off to be assembled??

Thanks!
-David.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:47:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
And I've heard (on the FALFiles) that those agreements apply only to the importers and such, but not to the end purchaser. In other words, Century (for example) can not assemble a parts kit into a new firearm. But you the end purchaser can.

But like CampyBob said, no one seems to have a real clear idea. BATF just muddied up the already muddy waters.

A definitive answer would be most welcome.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
How's this for definitive? These part sets don't have a date stamped on them. How is BATFE going to prove your rifle came in as a parts set after the ban? If this new "law" applies to the end user (us) the BATFE enacted an unenforceable law.
                      OJF
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
And IIRC, they stated that the kits coule not be used to build a rifle that does not pass muster under 922r.

If you have the bayo lug bobed, brake welded and the 5 complaince parts included, then you ARE building a 922r compliant weapon and the point is moot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:24:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Just to give credit where its due... this rule change was implemented in 2001-- not the last days of Clinton's presidency, but well in to Bush's term in office.

There's a gif of the letter the BATF sent out to all the firearms dealers list somewhere on the net.  Don't have it handy right now, but it was in the late spring of 2001.

Just like the original "AW" import ban, this one is a legacy of a president named BUSH.

(Not that I like Clinton, I just hate that people give Bush a free ride when he's just as bad.)
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I doubt George Bush gave any thought to this issue during his first months in office.  This is way below the radar of his level.

You have Clinton Holdovers to thank for this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:07:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no Federal law, regulation, ruling, that says we can't use newly imported barrels in our rifles.  It is simply, that simple.  We can thank the Bush admin for the imporation of AK barrels, when he took office they were not importable, now they are.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got the new Shotgun News and K-VAR has a nice full page ad (p.193) and they now have the little disclaimer box under their AK-102, 104 & 105 barrel assemblies:

"According to Federal importation restrictions the barrels from AK-102, 104 & 105 can only be used for repair & replacement.  The barrels cannot be used to build 922(r) compliant guns."

So what is the meaning of this?

Can I put a barrel together in a kit on a US receiver or what?

Fellas, Pardon my intrusion, as I am sort of lurking here.  I am 'contemplating' the building an AK.  

X-OVER TO THE DARK SIDE...?

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]
There is no Federal law, regulation, ruling, that says we can't use newly imported barrels in our rifles.  I can not state it any more simply then that, sorry.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
The law has not changed.

I was over on the rec.guns database today researching some court cases, and guess what?  The BATF gets their asses handed to themselves pretty regularly because they make stuff up as they go along.  

Remember, they regulate licensed entities "in the business" for the most part.  I imagind that they are trying to discourage the small to medium gunsmith from making a living by assembling parts kits on receivers for PC reasons.

The funny part (and yet sad) is that the average BATF-trooper wouldn't know a non-compliant firearm if it shot her in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Interord, Century, Sarco and all those folks are keeping records when you order parts kits.  That is why a lot of people, especially after that first letter, call or even visit from the ATF about a parts kit will only buy their parts kits cash over the counter at shops or shows.  

I sell parts kits at gun shows from time to time, and regularly get guys telling me that I am running ripoff prices at an average of $40 markup per parts kits.  The thing is, as soon as the very true stories get around about how the ATF suddenly makes up reasons about why they want to "recover" parts kits from the likes of Coles (the infamous uzi kits), Century (fal kits), Internord (PPSh-41 kits) and Global Sales (sten "spring break" kits), these guys don'w have much of a problem buying kits where no records are being kept.  

As for proving the parts, a lot of the parts kits have barrels and other parts that are also marked with the serial number of the gun, and believe it or not, that number is sometimes recorded if not on the individual buyer, then by the batch when the importer gets them, or even by the exporter when they sell them to the importer.  

What you are obligated to have a serial number on is the receiver.  Serial numbers on other parts? well, sometimes it is best if they go away.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top