Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/31/2003 3:25:49 AM EDT
I was able to get the trunion on the barrel without a press. The metalurgy engineer at work told me to heat the oven to 500 deg F and place the trunion in there for 15 minutes and keep the barrel at room temperature. It went right together without a single wack from a hammer. I then pinned it in place with the supplied pin. This will ensure it's in the proper place. I made sure the assembly cooled at room temperature in still air.

Hope this helps some of you. There were no local gunsmiths that were able to press it on for me.

89Saleen
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#2]
HOLY CRAP...I never woulda thought that would work.

"CLEAR OUTTA THE KITCHEN, HONEY...I GOT STUFF TO DO"
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you get close to final headspace using this method ? I have enough trouble with the press method. Stopping, running the headspace guage in the chamber, trying to get it a little tighter with out the barrel jumping too much etc etc .  
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Campy ! Any chance of getting the bolt locked up too tight on the guage to get unlocked ? I might give it a try next time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
So it is safe to just use the original barrel cross pin to use as headspacing when pressing the trun. and brl. together??
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Please hit me with the clue bat if I'm missing something...

But one of the gun parts kits out there is a cut up Mak90.

So, it seems to me you could buy the brand new trunions that Global Trades sells that are 19mm, and the aforementioned kit for $99 and screw the barrel in.... right?

Thus you wouldn't have to press, and Norincos are generally well respected, so $99 for the kit is not bad at all.

I figure after you screw the barrel in, you check headspace, and then drill the hole for the pin.

IF this is the case, it elimianted the need to a press or risking your headspacing in a situatio nwhere its difficult to fix... you just screw it in and out until you got your headspace perfect, and then drill.

Am I dreaming?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, you are dreaming.  A threaded barrel will not screw into a press fit trunion.  Threaded barrels require no pin.  The kit is a mish-mash of parts.  By the time you finish buying the missing parts, you'll have quite a bit in it.  In addition to the trunions, you will have to buy a complete Chinese barrel assembly from Global. Also the buttstock.  Good luck finding a Chinese stamped buttstock.  Perhaps Poly Teck has them still.  It will be expensive.  The reason those kits are so cheap and still available, is because the are not a good value.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top