Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/30/2003 5:47:48 PM EDT
I understand that my PMKMS kit needs 6 USA parts to be legal.

If I understand right the Mag follower and floor plate would count as two.

Here is my question.

When the mag is not in the rifle, would that make my rifle illegal?

I store all my rifles with the mags removed.

Right now I am thinking of the following for proper parts count.

mag follower
mag floor plate
receiver
hammer
trigger
sear

=6

Is this OK?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
you could go that route, but you'll only be able to use those mags. It's alot less screwing around if you just get teh required US parts.

I had:

US fcg (3 parts)
stock (1)
Gas piston (1)
Muzzle break (1)

I thought it was 5 US parts, or 6 if using a muzzle break. I sold it a while back. but i know i looked into it and made sure i had the right amount of parts.

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:13:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The law actually reads "..using no more than 10 of the following..."  So the law is really only concered with the total number of foregin parts in the gun.  Most folks just use the "you need six parts, ect" as an easy way to explain it.  If you put the "X" amount of parts in, then you will have less than the 11 ("no more than 10") foregin parts.  

When you take the mag out of your gun, you're removing three parts out of the equation totally.  It's not the total number of US parts, i.e. "you need six".  It's the total number of imported parts in the gun, i.e. "you can have no more than 10".  If you removed the mag and never used it (not much fun, but you could), you would be removing three foregin parts from the gun right there.  It doesn't matter if there's US parts in the mags or not, those three parts no longer matter towards your parts count.  

So the short answer is you are perfectly legal taking the mag out.  As long as you have "no more than 10" of the listed foregin parts, regardless of if there's a mag or not, you're OK.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Ross..that answered my question perfectly.

89Saleen
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a page that might help.

www.salt6.com/10_parts_rule1.htm
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top