Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/29/2003 12:21:23 PM EDT
do I need to contact the BATF leting them know I'm building a rifle for my own personal use. Will I have to serialize the rifle when done? What is the procedure.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Not unless you want your house burned down.

As far as serial numbers, I've heard arguments both ways, but the consensus is no. You are not manufacturing the weapon for commercial sale, therefore no serial number is required. Many home 'smiths add a # of some sort to aid in recovery should the weapon be stolen.

Your best bet is to search the ATF's web site for the exact text of the law. Such has been posted here before so maybe someone else can chime in with that info.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
No need to contact the ATF.  I'm assuming you're not a felon.  You have to put your name, the town you live in, and some kind of serial #.  At least 5 digits or letters, a letter or two will help set it apart. Also the required number of US parts, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean I have to stamp or etch my name and the town I live in onto the outside of the receiver?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  If you're name is Jonathan Livingstone Smythe III, I belive you can get by with J.Smythe.  Century arms International from St.Albins Vermont uses:  CAI St Alb Vt.  So shortcuts are acceptable.  Serial #'s like AB1234 are good because of the letters.  They help your rifle to become unique.
 Example of Jonathan's hypothetical #:

J SMITHE LOW BOG OH.
JLS551224  ( his birthday, 1955 Dec. 24th )

This will aid the unique caractor of a serial #.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:26:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Campy's right. { Sometimes I answer questions from way out in left field. } I was speaking about a home made receiver.  As Campy says, a receiver you purchase will have a serial # already and you do not add anything.  If you make a receiver yourself, from sheet metal, it's diffrent.  I gotta get more sleep before I write stuff like that post.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I am aware of the 100% receivers. I'm building my receiver.
             Thanks
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top