Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/22/2003 6:44:03 PM EDT
I built an FAL from a kit last year and it turned out great.

I am wondering if the average joe has the capabilities to build an AK from a parts kit at home.

I was thinking about the AMD-65 kits but I know nothing about them. Any other suggestions?

Who sells the best kits for the best price?

What receiver should I buy? I saw some that are flat metal but need folding, I saw another that is folded but, you need to mark the holes with the template and drill.

I understand that an AK barral has to be pressed on. Is this true? Is a gun smith the only way to do it?

Do I have to buy head space gauges? any suggestion where to buy them.

Any info you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

i currently have an SLR-95 and a SAR-2 so, I know the basics to an AK.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:06:46 AM EDT
[#1]
WEll, amd kits are cool, but I would stick with a standard kit.
Global Trades has the best IMHO $159
You can buy a Hesse Receiver(only thing I would buy from HESSE) for $40 from Joeken.

Yeah you need a press in order to put the barrel in the trunion and it would be helpful on doing he rivets with a press also.
There are a couple great threads over at ak47.net that have all your answers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
If you use the Global PMKMS kit and are going to keep the underfolder (pinned of course)you can't use the Hesse receiver.

The holes needed for the PMKMS rear trunnion are right where the logo and seriel number are located.

You need to use a OOW or a BentMetal receiver

Edited to add: Look at the "what are you wrenching on" thread in this forum for pics of the AMD65 and PMKMS I am building on BentMetal Blanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I was thinking about the AMD-65 kits but I know nothing about them. Any other suggestions?

Who sells the best kits for the best price?

What receiver should I buy? I saw some that are flat metal but need folding, I saw another that is folded but, you need to mark the holes with the template and drill.

I understand that an AK barrel has to be pressed on. Is this true? Is a gun smith the only way to do it?

Do I have to buy head space gauges? any suggestion where to buy them.

Thanks

The AMD65 is a cool variant, but the barrel must be extended, as it is to short to be legal.
Troy at inrange sells extensions ($15+$2 shipping)

Global PMKMS kits are excellent. But if you want a fixed type stock you need to buy a stock plus a rear trunnion ($15-$20)

If you want a 100% use a OOW for PMKMS or a Hesse/Vulcan for a AMD or fixed stock PMKMS build.
For a 80% receiver use a BentMetal.

Yes barrel must be pressed on in a kit that comes with it off (PMKMS) or on any rivet build.
If you get a kit with the trunnion still on (AMD65)and are going to do a screw build and you can successfully remove the old rivet stubs,no pressing is necessary.

If you buy a kit with "all matching numbers" which means you are basically buying a disassembled, rifle as opposed to a bag of AK parts, generally the headspace will be OK, But should still be checked after Assembly.

You can buy headspace gauges from Brownells.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top