Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2003 3:56:12 PM EDT
Ok guys, I can build an AR, no sweat. But I have never owned an AK, so after reading a bunch of stuff I am thinking about taking the plunge, right off of the deep end and BUILDING an AK.

I can get one of these parts sets from Global.

A guy in town has a couple of ITM receivers, one marked AK74, in 7.62, and one marked MK 99 in 5.45.

A milled receiver would also be nice, how about the MLS99 from "The Firing Line"? (they make one for the underfolding stock too)

Of course the underfolder would have to be pinned, but is a project like this do-able by a guy who doesn't know shit about the AK, and has never owned/worked on one??? Thanks for your help, and if I start this project, I am sure I'll need some more advice. Dennis
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the AK world.

The global trades kit is a GREAT kit.
Firing line is a good choice for the milled receiver, and I should also say the ONLY choice. It will save you ALOT of hassle.

Basically you will just need to press the barrel into the reciever(it has the trunion already built into it).

Since it is a milled receiver, the trigger guard is already attached. And since you are builing a underfolder you will not have to deal with the rear trunion.  But I think you will have to install the mag catch.

I thought about doing the exact same setup but the firing line receiver is out of my price range.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Also since it is a milled receiver it will save you one US part.
The Receiver covers 2 US parts

(1) receiver
(2) trunion
You just need to hunt up 4 more US parts if you intend to keep the polish muzzle device.

I would do the following
(3) hammer
(4) trigger
(5) disconnector
(6) Gas Piston

That way the gun will look original with only the exception of the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:29:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, Campy must not be familiar with the UNDERFOLDER receiver made by them

So you can skip over his info on milling the receiver for the underfolder.

Yeah the picture is of a STAMPED reciever gun.
Milled receiver will work and is EASIER to put together since you don't have to do ANY riveting.

Yep, you will need Headspace gauges, forgot about that.

How many you intend to build?
You can pay someone to install the barrel and headspace.

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered two of the kits today. I think that I may build one on a milled receiver, and one stamped. I will find a good AK smith to install the barrels. Anyone have a good suggestion where to buy AK specific tools, if any are needed. How about a "How To" book or video. Any tooling that makes riveting easy and painless?  Thanks all for your knowledge and the info you share. I may start a "I am building an AK and I don't know Shit" thread complete with pics when everything gets here and I can get started.
This is gonna be fun.

BTW those Firing Line milled receivers look like really nice work, even the one for the under folders!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#6]
can you post a link to where you got the reciever for a guy that is in the same boat?
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I have built on the fireing line receiver.  It is excellent.  I thought that Global was out of those kits!  Mine was new condition.

With Mike's new underfolder/milled receiver it's an assembly job, except for the barrel installation.  If you are careful and make some jigs so you don't bent the barrel, it should be a snap.  Just follow the advise you're sure to get here and you will have a fine build!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I took the plunge and built one too!  I own a preban Polytech so I had something to go by.  Never built one before in my life...I bought a Bulgarian milled receiver kit (wood stock) and Arsenal Bulgaria milled receiver from a guy who decided that it was too much to handle.  The milled receiver barrel was threaded into the part of the old receiver, so I had to press the rear sight block off in order to unscrew the barrel.  This was probably the most difficult task of the whole build, as I had to machine a special jig to fit around the block, as there isn't much shoulder to press on.  What a pain in the ass!  Once that was done though, I was able to unscrew the barrel and chuck it in a lathe even with the front sight still on.  I turned the threads off and allowed .002" for the press fit into the new receiver.  I pressed the rear sight block back on and then pressed the barrel into the receiver.  The barrel has a shoulder on it, unlike the stamped receiver barrel, so I pressed in to the shoulder.  Had to make another jig for this part...  You need to make sure the front sight is lined up square with the receiver so it won't be canted.  Headspacing checked out, so I drilled a hole through the receiver and part of the barrel and installed a barrel pin to mechanically lock the barrel in place, something I learned here.  Once the barrel is installed the rest is simply bolting the stock and grip on to the receiver, installing the top and bottom handguards and installing the internals, bolt/carrier, recoil spring and top cover.  I had to file the top cover a little because the selector would not quite close in the safe position.  Actually before I installed the wood I cold blued the whole thing and it turned out like a new gun.  It really made a difference in the appearance.  Test fired flawless!  The barrel installation is the only pain in the ass part of the whole build but I would do it again.  I am lucky in that I have access to a machine shop so I was able to do the whole job by myself.  You kinda learn as you go and you can always consult with the guys here; they helped me out with a couple of my questions.  Good luck with your project!  
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm thinking about taking the plunge.  Not sure though.

TS
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top