Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/25/2003 10:41:49 PM EDT
Just wondering aloud here if I'm going to need to have the thing welded and machine pressed togather by one of our big hitters here, or is it possible for me to take one of the Inter Ord Romanian AKM kits and a OOW reciever and assemble it with my own three hands in the garadge with a dremil, a couple of drills, and a lot of spare time?

I've read somewhere that there are tutorials on bolting as opposed to riviting togather an AK kit, and when I've got the time I plan on hunting them down. I assume it wouldnt be too difficult to simply thread the proper holes and use machine screws to put the whole thing togather but...would it work? Beyond the "Made in Peshwar" definition?

My final question is...does anyone sell RPK-74 barrels? If this is a doable project, I might just end up getting a 5.45mm kit too and building my very own semi-auto Squad Auto :)

Thanks for your time,

RG
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Campy, as always, your my hero.

Will be in Canada untill then anyhow :( Wish I wasnt a left-coaster so I could have made it to the fest...someday.

RG
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I just finished one I made with the pre bent reciever. The hardest part that I ran into was welding in the rails & making them stick.(I didn't have a spot welder)
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Stash, Going to use a OOW with the rails already in it.

Inter Ord was out of the underfolder kit so I'm probably going to end up paying $190 for one on auction on E-Bay :( Planning on pinning the stock for easy removal once the AWB tanks next year. All I need is a 15 minute window ;)

OTOH this is going to cause me to buy a drill press next week too...well, got to go down to ye old shoppe to get Larry to order me a OOW reciever now.

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Rebel, mine is an underfolder too from inter-ordinace, I took the spring out of the under-folder button and replaced it with a solid steel slug and now my under-folder won't fold. For now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a grand idea. Thanks for putting it in my head :) Cant wait to see the kit next week...
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Never worry your head about buying a drill press.  There will always be another use for it.  You can put a wheel on it and polish the woman's silver, mix house paint, make milk shakes, drill all kinds of stuff, use it as a mini vertical lathe...  The stuff you can do with a drill press is only limited by your imagination.  It will also help building the clamps you use to clamp the barrel for pressing opperations, should you need to...  It's money well spent.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]
RebelGray, if you're in WA state, and in the Puget Sound area, go down to Boeing Surplus in Kent (they have a website with days/times they are open).

They have a big bin full of rivet bucks (a mini anvil you put in a vise) and rivet head forming tools, as well as drill presses (hyper industrial though).

For ten bucks you can walk out with most of the assembly tools you need for rivets (vice a two pound hammer, vice, and mebbe drill press for ease of use).

I got very pretty results from just using a rivet buck, forming tool, and hammer.

Another pair of hands helps.

B
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Oooh, thanks for the suggestion. I havnt been there since I was a kid, and would have forgotten all about it.

Next payday I'll go take a look...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top